• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink May Auction

200 posts in this topic

I'm a sucker for Drew Hayes PE and I couldn't resist. My early bid on the final day barely hung in there.

RAD065772014513_135618.jpg

You are a lucky, lucky man I kept my composure and my self-imposed buying restriction. lol

The Ditko ASM with 1st appearance of MJ was just a bunch of talking heads/civilians and no real shot of MJ. I can see why it went for less, no Spidey effects the value and that really isn't the MJ everyone knows. Low nostalgia.

I guess I'm one of the few people that gets really good memories of that page. I always loved the expressions Ditko drew on Betty's and Liz's faces. It made quite an impression on me when I was growing up.

I've always seen that as one of the most "important" pages in Marvel history. Vastly more so than the Hulk 180. And better drawn. But I haven't bought original art in many years as I just follow a market that I don't understand one tiny bit. At least I get to look at the pretty pictures.

^ no offense but that's ridiculous. Superheroes' WAGS are not that important. I don't think Ive ever heard anyone (except possibly overstreet) trumpet action 1 as being the first appearance of Lois lane?

If the first appearance of Lois lane was action 25 would you be saying that action 25 was important than detective 27? Because in marvel terms that's basically what you are doing

^ no offense but that's ridiculous. Superheroes' WAGS are not that important. I don't think Ive ever heard anyone (except possibly overstreet) trumpet action 1 as being the first appearance of Lois lane?

If the first appearance of Lois lane was action 25 would you be saying that action 25 was important than detective 27? Because in marvel terms that's basically what you are doing

It's not that it''s MJ's first appearance (I have no idea why anyone would pay such massive money just for a page that has a character's first appearance on it), but the way in which it was conceived. Such a grand running joke that helped define the first few years of Spider-Man. It's one of the wittiest moments of Marvel's Silver Age made more resonant because of the role MJ would assume in his life. That page is one of the very first things I think of when I think about Marvel comics.

I'm a sucker for Drew Hayes PE and I couldn't resist. My early bid on the final day barely hung in there.

You are a lucky, lucky man I kept my composure and my self-imposed buying restriction. lol

Your self control is greatly appreciated. :cool:

It's not that it''s MJ's first appearance (I have no idea why anyone would pay such massive money just for a page that has a character's first appearance on it), but the way in which it was conceived. Such a grand running joke that helped define the first few years of Spider-Man. It's one of the wittiest moments of Marvel's Silver Age made more resonant because of the role MJ would assume in his life. That page is one of the very first things I think of when I think about Marvel comics.

With the Ditko Spider-man issues, I often find the soap-opera aspect of Peter Parker's private life was often as entertaining (sometimes more so) as the heroic exploits of his alter-ego. The running gag about MJ was certainly one of those highlights.

I can't think of any other superhero book were the balance - between private and superhero life - was anywhere near as good. The whole Ditko ASM canon was a masterpiece of characterization.

Lois Lane? No thanks.

I didn't really care for the MJ character, once Romita took the reins and her full physical appearance was revealed. She was quickly transformed into an air-head (even if a prettily drawn one), sporting a range of (hippy-chick) dialogue disasters that were probably dated at time of publication.

Just my 2c Daddy-o!

With the Ditko Spider-man issues, I often find the soap-opera aspect of Peter Parker's private life was often as entertaining (sometimes more so) as the heroic exploits of his alter-ego.

I can't think of any other superhero book were the balance - between private and superhero life - was anywhere near as good. The whole Ditko ASM canon was a masterpiece of characterization.

I couldn't agree with this more. As I've said before:

Did we all read ASM and relate to Peter Parker because he had super powers and fought hokey villains like the Vulture and the Tinkerer? Of course not. ASM has always been a human drama at its core - it's always been about far more than just duking it out with the bad guys.

When I re-read those old ASM issues, I usually skip all the goofy early Silver Age battle scenes and go straight to the "character" pages. Pete and Flash going at it. Pete trying to make ends meet and bargaining with JJJ. Pete trying to protect and support Aunt May. Pete coping with the burden and responsibility of his Spidey alter-ego. And, of course, Pete having troubles with the ladies...

I thought the ASM #25 page was very cool, but, to me, it was more like a "Mary Jane Watson gag appearance" than the first actual Mary Jane Watson. $27.8K was maybe a bit lower than expected, but it certainly wasn't going to sell for the $65K where the consignor had it priced at his booth in San Diego last July.

I think the true 1st appearance character pages, on the other hand, can do very well. When ASM #31 was broken up in 2005, remember that the 1st Gwen Stacy/Harry Osborn page (which I bought/still own, for full disclosure) sold for more than all the costume pages in the book other than the splash. And, why shouldn't it have? Ditko ASM costume pages are a dime a dozen (OK, maybe $500K a dozen nowadays), coming up for sale every auction cycle like clockwork, whereas there's only one true first appearance page of major characters like these. I know that the owner of the ASM #42 "Face it, Tiger" end page has turned down Ditko ASM splash-size offers for that page, which isn't surprising to me at all - I'd rather own that page than even the best Romita Spidey vs. Goblin fight pages, which are probably my next favorite Romita interiors. 2c

When ASM #31 was broken up in 2005, remember that the 1st Gwen Stacy/Harry Osborn page (which I bought/still own, for full disclosure) sold for more than all the costume pages in the book other than the splash. And, why shouldn't it have?

Best page in the book

Those jagged word balloons in the third panel of the ASM 25 page are super! What a way to express the jealous tension between the two girls. It's a clear and complete story on one page and leaves you anticipating what comes next....great!