• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultra High Grade Sgt. Fury run coming to Pedigree Comics

54 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just read in this week's Scoop newletter that Captain Tripps is unleashing what sounds to be an absolutely incredible run of Sgt. Fury # 1-49 on his web site Monday.

Link to Scoop Article

Doug - Are these from your "keeper" run, are they duplicates, or do they belong to someone else? Good luck with the sale!

-Jim

893whatthe.gif That Sgt Fury #2 is unbelievable!!! You NEVER see that copy in any grade, for it to be in 9.6 is unbelievable. For an early SA Winnipeg to appear in that kind of grade is pretty unusual too. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I'll be looking forward to seeing these. Based on the popularity of Sgt Fury amongst SA collectors, my prediction is the market response will be... tepid at best (except for the #13). frown.gif

I'm pretty sure some of these are Doug's own books (but I could be wrong). Remember, he sold his number 1 (which was in the vault).

There are a few Sgt. Fury collectors, so if the prices are right, they might sell faster than you think. If you look at his site, a bunch of the later pedigree issues all ready sold.

JIm,

Thanks for the post. The collection is really an amazing story, but I can't go into it right now. Besides the complete 1-49 (in which there are at least 25 copies in 9.6 or higher) there are a bunch in the 50's (51-57) 60's and higher.

Suffice to say it is the greatest Sgt. Fury run ever assembled. The 1 is a killer 9.2 with white pages and the 2 starts off the 9.6 madness. Only a few of the over 60 books offered are not pedigrees (appx 10).

I know Sgt Fury's aren't as popular as the more mainstream Marvel titles, but that's what I thought about the TTA's I had and the response to those have been unbelievable.

I hope people don't just consider these as "war books". They are a true part of the early Marvel age and have some pretty cool covers and great (but lengthy) stories.

Let me know what you think and I look forward to filling some holes in collections out there.

Doug.

Besides the covers, the stories are very entertaining as well. I discussed this with SFilosa and he agrees that Stan really whipped out the extra word baloons and verbosity when writing this title.

As for issue 25, Jim, that's a great story and it matches the cover. The copy in my run is a 9.6 and it's a real beauty. I'm glad to see there are other Sgt Fury enthusiasts out there. I have a definite love and appreciation for these books and it hurts having to let some of mine go.

How about the cover to #64. That's one of tth2's favorite covers and it certainly ranks.

Great post Jim. The madness will begin late on Monday.

Doug

Hi again Doug,

Along with my all-time favorite, Fantastic Four, I have become a huge Sgt. Fury fan so I definitely share your enthusiasm. #64 is another great cover - I'm extremely fortunate to own a very sharp Boston copy. It's raw, but almost certainly 9.4. I've seen a scan of tth2's copy - It's totally smoking!

#25 was the first Sgt. Fury I ever got. It is also unslabbed at the moment, and is a Green River copy that I managed to wrangle from fellow forumite sckao (Shin Kao). That book really ignited my passion for the title. I completely agree that the stories really feel like they are a part of the Marvel Universe and are not just Marvel's "war book".

I also love these stories because my maternal Grandfather is a WWII vet. He was an Army Sergeant that served in several Airborne divisions in the European Theater, and fought in the Battle of the Bugle. By all accounts he was a real hell raiser back in those days, so it's easy for me to imagine that he may have been a lot like Nick Fury. I always enjoy talking with him about his experiences during the war.

Monday can't come soon enough!!!

Best,

-Jim

#64 is another great cover - I'm extremely fortunate to own a very sharp Boston copy. It's raw, but almost certainly 9.4. I've seen a scan of tth2's copy - It's totally smoking!

It`s not mine anymore! gossip.gif

#64 is another great cover - I'm extremely fortunate to own a very sharp Boston copy. It's raw, but almost certainly 9.4. I've seen a scan of tth2's copy - It's totally smoking!

It`s not mine anymore! gossip.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I just finished skimming through the listings. Holy Carp! Those books are UNREAL. Intial sales seems extremely strong, and the prices are reasonable considering their grade and pedigree status.

Wow. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Awesome books, and even more awesome prices. Kudos to Doug for helping to bring a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T to a long overlooked title. However, Doug's sales aren't the only ones that are indicative of the decent level of collector demand for this tite:

This # 7 in 9.4 had a starting price of $150, with a BIN of $300. I bid the starting price thinking I would have a decent chance at winning it under $300....WRONG!!! tongue.gif

And this # 107 in 9.4 brought several multiples of Guide...reinforcing something that I've spouted on these boards before...Bronze Furys are tough in high grade and collectors will pay for 'em!

The sales of these books proves one of my points.

While Demand is important, Supply is also important.

Basically, the few Sgt. Fury collectors who are out there, know this is the best opportunity they are going to have to get these Super High-Grade books. It doesn't take a lot of demand, when there is so little supply.

893whatthe.gif

Basically, the few Sgt. Fury collectors who are out there, know this is the best opportunity they are going to have to get these Super High-Grade books. It doesn't take a lot of demand, when there is so little supply.

893whatthe.gif

Just went on the site this morning and I noticed that most of the books are already gone. I guess like gman said, they probably went in the first hour after being posted. 893whatthe.gif

Some of the covers I was interested in such as issues #38, #43, and #64 were already gone by the time I got onto the site. Also noticed that all of these were currently the highest ranked with white pages according to the CGC census if this really means anything at this early stage of the slabbing game. Well, I guess you snooze, you lose. frown.gif

With respect to the question of supply, I took a quick look at the CGC census and noticed that most copies had around 8 to 12 copies graded from 9.2 and up. Also noticed that issue #38 with the spectacular bluish purple night cover against the full moon has only two copies listed at 9.6 with the next highest copy at only a 9.0. I guess somebody got lucky since this copy seems to be harder to find in high grade as compared to the other issues in the run, especially considering that it's also a Boston pedigree copy with white pages. Anybody know why this copy appears to be tougher to find in grade?

Are these prices expensive considering they are non-super hero books and are going for significant multiples to guide? On the other hand, are these relatively cheap 27_laughing.gif taking into consideration the majority of them was picked up for only a few hundred dollars each and probably have less supply than the Marvel super heroes? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've put up a test gallery page for my proposed Green River Pedigree Visual Database, and the first one features Sgt. Fury. Hopefully, as folks become more aware of my project, they will share scans and info on their Green River holdings.

Check these out.....not anywhere near what Doug put up on his wonderful site, but there are still some pretty books here. Jimm94 contributed several books to the first gallery. Thanks Jim!

Let me know what you think.

Red Hook

First completed gallery page for the GRPVD

I've put up a test gallery page for my proposed Green River Pedigree Visual Database, and the first one features Sgt. Fury. Hopefully, as folks become more aware of my project, they will share scans and info on their Green River holdings.

Check these out.....not anywhere near what Doug put up on his wonderful site, but there are still some pretty books here. Jimm94 contributed several books to the first gallery. Thanks Jim!

Let me know what you think.

Red Hook

First completed gallery page for the GRPVD

Awesome. This needs its own thread in Comics General, Brad. What a great idea. cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif

I was pretty surprised by the demand too, but after doing a little digging, it appears that the main buyer of most of the big ticket Sgt Furys was the other top Fury collector, who now undoubtedly has the best Fury collection in existence.

So sorry to be a perma-skeptic, but I'm not convinced that this was anything other than a one-time blip, and I think the inch-deep demand will dry up right after this.

To test my proposition, I am making the following books available, all at prices lower than the listed sales prices on Doug's site:

Sgt Fury #4, CGC 9.4 OW (the only other one currently in existence besides the one that just sold on Doug's site)

Sgt Fury #17, CGC 9.4 OW (one of only 3 9.4 copies in the census)

Sgt Fury #64, CGC 9.6 OW (the only 9.6 copy in the census, eclipsed only by the 9.8 copy that was just sold on Doug's site, formerly owned by Doug and acquired as part of a trade for my 9.8 copy).

My scans of these books are too big for the Boards to host, so if someone could host them for me to post here, I'd be happy to email the scans to you.

If I'm right, there will be little demand for these books, and if I'm wrong, then this would represent a great chance to get some very nice books at decent prices early in the Sgt Fury price cycle!