• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultra High Grade Sgt. Fury run coming to Pedigree Comics

54 posts in this topic

Holy Flyin' Furys Batman...er....did anyone notice how EVERY 20-cent Bronze Sgt Fury listed recently on Pedigree sold almost immediately...virtually all for asking price?!?

I'm SO glad I've been able to find quality raw bronze age Furys recently for a WHOLE lot less.

It's one of those situations that because they were pedigrees and very high grade, they sold quickly (or should I say Pre-Sold).

Also, realize that because they are still before 1975, it cost at least $25 just to get CGC'd.

There is no question in my mind that many RAW Bronze-Age books are still a bargain, from a collectors point of view. But from a profit point of view, probably not as much as unless they get slabbed above 9.4, there isn't a lot of money to be made after grading fees.

Holy Flyin' Furys Batman...er....did anyone notice how EVERY 20-cent Bronze Sgt Fury listed recently on Pedigree sold almost immediately...virtually all for asking price?!?

I'm SO glad I've been able to find quality raw bronze age Furys recently for a WHOLE lot less.

It's one of those situations that because they were pedigrees and very high grade, they sold quickly (or should I say Pre-Sold).

Also, realize that because they are still before 1975, it cost at least $25 just to get CGC'd.

There is no question in my mind that many RAW Bronze-Age books are still a bargain, from a collectors point of view. But from a profit point of view, probably not as much as unless they get slabbed above 9.4, there isn't a lot of money to be made after grading fees.

As someone who usually has NO luck finding these books in raw NM shape, I can understand why they sold so fast..CGCed or not, they are tough to find in HG...so I was kinda surprised, but also kinda not, when I saw all of em marked as "Sale Pending".

Considering how "dead" of a title Fury has been, I've been shocked on the occasion when CGCed 9.4 & 9.6 copies from 94-up have sold on ebay for over $100....I don't think you can get those prices if these books (which probably, only a handful of people bother to collect) were readily available in raw NM.

Or is it possible that these were Pre-sold/Traded? Which begs me to question why are pre-sold books listed?

To me it's a tease to list pre-sold books. List books that are only available for sale, sold books should reported in your sales archival if you have one, notable sales or reported to Overstreet or GPAnalysis.

Or is it possible that these were Pre-sold/Traded? Which begs me to question why are pre-sold books listed?

To me it's a tease to list pre-sold books. List books that are only available for sale, sold books should reported in your sales archival if you have one, notable sales or reported to Overstreet or GPAnalysis.

I wouldn't disagree, but Doug likes to show on his site that the books are selling for those prices. As I said before, I do think it tends to generate some Urgency for those books that didn't Pre-Sell.

Are there a lot of collectors interested in these books. I would say NO.

Youll get to choose how you will handle pre-sold books Bob on your site. As there are no 'rules' on how to run an online comics site yet, my guess is that Comiclink and Doug list them as sales pending to put them into the regular listing of books for organizational. promotional and bookkeeping reasons. You may find it easier and wiser to do so too and end up not questioning the practice as a "tease"... just good business. Or maybe you'll devise a NEW page that lists OFFLINE SALES only... unless of course the guy writing your code wants too much extra for it....

I don't really care where sales are listed on someone's site, as long as they're listed somewhere, and as long as the information is accurate. The last part is a real pet peeve of mine, as I know in the past some dealers would list a book's sale price as their asking price, even if the actual negotiated sale price was less. Fortunately, there seems to be much less of that these days.

speaking of Doug's site - - whats the deal with those post #200 Spideys just listed????

Are these really slab and Pedigree-worthy?

I believe he pre-screened them and because they are under the modern tier, a sale of say even $30 is profitable.

I can say, I'm not interested in them. But I don't collect Moderns.

I'm not really all that interested in Moderns, but as a Spidey nut I'm keen on adding 9.8 whites from 200-328. I'm afraid the 9.8s listed are priced a bit too high, and without White pages will have a real hard time moving.

I'm not really all that interested in Moderns, but as a Spidey nut I'm keen on adding 9.8 whites from 200-328. I'm afraid the 9.8s listed are priced a bit too high, and without White pages will have a real hard time moving.

I wouldn't be afraid to put a low bid in. If no one else is interested, he might accept your offer.

Good Luck.

but then again, how meaningful is the 9.8 going to be in years to come???

What do you mean? I'd say it will be very meaningful for Copper books like the ones in question--it will be the minimum acceptable grade for many high grade guys due to the high number of them that are available. You seem to be implying that there are plenty of 9.9 and 10.0 Copper books around, but I haven't seen any evidence at all of that.

ya probably cant do better than 9.8 Whites on Moderns...... but then again, how meaningful is the 9.8 going to be in years to come???

/shrug

I'm not too concerned about value, I'm mostly concerned with putting together a real nice run of slabbed Spideys. And some of those books, ASM 200-328, are 25 years old. I won't consider them "modern" when they are almost as old as me.

but then again, how meaningful is the 9.8 going to be in years to come???

What do you mean? I'd say it will be very meaningful for Copper books like the ones in question--it will be the minimum acceptable grade for many high grade guys due to the high number of them that are available. You seem to be implying that there are plenty of 9.9 and 10.0 Copper books around, but I haven't seen any evidence at all of that.

My statement covered both outcomes.. The first half agrees with you "Cant go wrong with 9.8 Whites" since very few will grade out higher.

But the second half alludes to the possibility that in time (10 years?) when these books hit their "primetime" window, the CGC grade may actually no longer matter; or the subtle shades between 9.6. 9.8 and 9.9 may be meaningless and undiscernable; or just not be in demand.

see what I mean? These will be the "best copies" according to the CGC opinion circa 2005. Many or most by them may just say "Big Deal!" on Modern comics with thousands of "similar" books (in 9.6 and above) to choose from... ne c'est pas??