• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Timeline with Guide Prices!

30 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting spreasheet that I did. It show the Guide Value of all the main Marvel Silver-Age titles based on the month they were published. Kind of interesting to see how expensive ASM issues compared to almost any other title published in the same month.

Thoughts / Comments? 643784-Timeline.JPG

643784-Timeline.JPG.5c9c316dda7836e62284eee6720f7a72.JPG

Demand is the most important factor when determining the value of a collectable.

Never said it wasn't. smile.gif

But it's not the only factor. blush.gif

Just thought the timeline in general was really interesting. Look how inexpensive many of the early Strange Tales are compared to FF's. Yet, some of the ST issues are in fact really Fantastic Four issues (especially when they all crossover).

This is very cool, sfilosa. It perfectly illustrates why I tend to shy away from buying ASMs. It's a great book, but I just feel as though I get more bang for my buck with the other titles. Your spreadsheet also shows what a terrific value DD represents as a solo hero title.

It perfectly illustrates why I tend to shy away from buying ASMs. It's a great book, but I just feel as though I get more bang for my buck with the other titles.

Personally I buy what I like, and don't buy comic books for financial gain. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Look how inexpensive many of the early Strange Tales are compared to FF's. Yet, some of the ST issues are in fact really Fantastic Four issues (especially when they all crossover).

That's very true and something I've always thought quite strange. It's not as if the FF appearances in STT are a big secret, they are on all the covers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

These STT issues great books too, and I actiually prefer them to the equivalent FF issues because of the additional Lee/Ditko Dr. Strange stories. cool.gif

bummer getting sniped by the Geek, huh? That book looked nice too..

The price was still in the range of what I should have bid. devil.gif Maybe he will list it on eBay in a few months with no reserve. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I have OVERSPENT on books the past few months so I have to have some patience, don't I. insane.gif

It perfectly illustrates why I tend to shy away from buying ASMs. It's a great book, but I just feel as though I get more bang for my buck with the other titles.

Personally I buy what I like, and don't buy comic books for financial gain. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I buy what I like too, and in my case I like them all and eventually want to have owned them all (Marvel Silver Age) throughout my lifetime as a collector. My comment was not based on financial gain, but rather how many nice books I can buy for X amount of my collecting dollars. My collection is pretty small at this point, so I'm more content to have two or three other Marvels for the price of one Spidey.

This also shows that collectors have been saying for years - some of the early X-Men issues are overpriced compared to comics of the same era. Most do not understand it was a bimonthly comic and artificially inflate prices compared to the era. For a good example, just look at X-Men #11-12 to around 15.

I buy what I like too, and in my case I like them all and eventually want to have owned them all (Marvel Silver Age) throughout my lifetime as a collector. My comment was not based on financial gain, but rather how many nice books I can buy for X amount of my collecting dollars. My collection is pretty small at this point, so I'm more content to have two or three other Marvels for the price of one Spidey.

I had that approach too for many years... shying away from the most expensive copies in the highest grades, preferring to come home with MANY books instead of one.

BUT - - in the long run, what happens (or happenned so far) is that the HG books I passed on skyrocket in value while the lesser books only inch up. Demand for those few killer copies far outsrips the more common "nice" copies. And while I know its not "all about the money" lets face facts, with the increased value of the killer copy, you can always use it as found money to buy up even MORE nice books to fill in a run. Its never been hard to buy a complete run of any SA title.... so buying them now or waiting later for less $$ seems a fair choice.

But yeah, its still feels good to come home with a pile of books for the same dollars TODAY, and to check off a few more #s the old want list dont it?

Well there's a difference between buying a pile of LOWER GRADED books, than BUYING less appreciated titles (but in High Grade).

As I have said many times, I believe the Demand for ASM, FF and X-MEN is huge. But I'm not sure how much more it can get. And with the amazing amount of OVERSUPPLY of ASM and X-MEN books (just look at any Heritage auction and they always have lots of 9.0-9.6's of these titles), maybe a better bang for the buck right now is some unappreciated books, that guide for so much less that paying a higher multiple in reality is still a good buy (assuming those titles interest you).

ALWAYS, ALWAYS buy what you LIKE. hail.gif

Just thought the timeline in general was really interesting. Look how inexpensive many of the early Strange Tales are compared to FF's. Yet, some of the ST issues are in fact really Fantastic Four issues (especially when they all crossover).

There are only what, two or three ST issues where the complete FF appeared? 107 and 108 are issues I can recall the whole team were in, although there might be one or two others. Just the Human Torch, and later Torch and Thing, aren't compelling to me. I do find it odd that 107 and 108 aren't valued more than they are, but I think I know why--a lot of FF collectors aren't even aware of the crossover. I didn't know about those two issues until just last year.

And there's something about that title, "Strange Tales," that doesn't seem kosher to me. I think I associate the title more with the pre-hero horror/sci-fi tales, and forcing superheroes into that seems strange. I have the same thought about Journey Into Mystery, but it's different since there was no separate, dedicated Thor title at the time.

Well there's a difference between buying a pile of LOWER GRADED books, than BUYING less appreciated titles (but in High Grade).

As I have said many times, I believe the Demand for ASM, FF and X-MEN is huge. But I'm not sure how much more it can get. And with the amazing amount of OVERSUPPLY of ASM and X-MEN books (just look at any Heritage auction and they always have lots of 9.0-9.6's of these titles), maybe a better bang for the buck right now is some unappreciated books, that guide for so much less that paying a higher multiple in reality is still a good buy (assuming those titles interest you).

ALWAYS, ALWAYS buy what you LIKE. hail.gif

thats a key difference. I was talking about lower grades, not other titles. I agree with you.

As for future Spidey prices? Who knows. I assume they will always be in greater demand than other Marvels, so if Marvel sin general increase, so will Spidey. Other titles will never catch up, barring some unforseen massive turnabout in the demand for another character.... Spidey's always been number one, and the recent hit movies didnt hurt.

Hey Aman and sfilosa,

I was referring to my preference for purchasing other titles in HG as opposed to HG Spidey.

BTW, HG for my collection is 8.5-9.2. With a few exceptions, I don't buy 9.4 or higher silver unless I'm getting it for close to a 9.2 price. I enjoy searching for NM raw that is priced and labeled around 9.2 guide.

I also buy low and mid grade books, but that's not what I was comparing the ASMs to in this instance. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Do you have a problem with "Amazing Fantasy", too?

Not as much. I don't find the Fantastic Four to be "strange" (i.e. "Strange Tales"). The primary "strange" event which affected them--the cosmic rays--took place in their own title, so their presence in "Strange Tales" seems somewhat out of place. Placing a "Dr. Strange" in that title with mystical powers actually does make some sense, though. Placing Nick Fury in the title makes the LEAST sense of all. Spidey is DEFINITELY "amazing" and "fantasy," so the title fits. Also, it's his first appearance, so the idea of him appearing first in that title and then getting his own mag makes a LOT of sense--they tried him out, he was a hit, and so he got his own title.

"Journey Into Mystery" does actually fit Thor a little since he's a god and there is mystery surrounding his power and his relationship to mankind and Earth, but it still doesn't seem as fitting as the fantasy/mystery tales prior to issue 83. 83 and up are more about developing and following Thor as a character than any generic exploration into "mystery."

Do you have a problem with "Amazing Fantasy", too?

Not as much. I don't find the Fantastic Four to be "strange" (i.e. "Strange Tales"). The primary "strange" event which affected them--the cosmic rays--took place in their own title, so their presence in "Strange Tales" seems somewhat out of place. Placing a "Dr. Strange" in that title with mystical powers actually does make some sense, though. Placing Nick Fury in the title makes the LEAST sense of all. Spidey is DEFINITELY "amazing" and "fantasy," so the title fits. Also, it's his first appearance, so the idea of him appearing first in that title and then getting his own mag makes a LOT of sense--they tried him out, he was a hit, and so he got his own title.

"Journey Into Mystery" does actually fit Thor a little since he's a god and there is mystery surrounding his power and his relationship to mankind and Earth, but it still doesn't seem as fitting as the fantasy/mystery tales prior to issue 83. 83 and up are more about developing and following Thor as a character than any generic exploration into "mystery."

screwy.gif