• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a rule of thumb for any extra value for a CGC Signature Series?

26 posts in this topic

So, in the great Secret Santa raffle mystery box I received from Mikenyc, was my first Signature Series! (Thanks again Mike! Plus all the other cool books!)

Mike sent me a copy of Shanna #1 CGC 8.5 signed by Jim Steranko!

As many of you know, I love to draw so having a Steranko signature goes right up there with my Neal Adams and George Perez. (I have TPB's signed by them.)

Now, to be clear, I have no intention of selling this anytime soon. But I do record all my books in an Excel file and use OSPG. Basically I send the file every year to our insurance agent. Should I just plug in the OSPG value at an 8.5? No worries no matter what, just curious.

What a great Secret Santa Gift! The only year I did it, my person never sent me anything, so I haven't done it since. I should try again this year.

Also, I agree with youmechoose on the pricing for the most part but some people will defiantly pay more for a signature series. I would do some searches on Ebay under the Advanced search on Sold items and see his signatures series prices compare to the book just being CGC'd.

So, in the great Secret Santa raffle mystery box I received from Mikenyc, was my first Signature Series! (Thanks again Mike! Plus all the other cool books!)

As many of you know, I love to draw so having a Steranko signature goes right up there with my Neal Adams and George Perez. (I have TPB's signed by them.)

Now, to be clear, I have no intention of selling this anytime soon. But I do record all my books in an Excel file and use OSPG. Basically I send the file every year to our insurance agent. Should I just plug in the OSPG value at an 8.5? No worries no matter what, just curious.

I don't subscribe to GPA (because I collect golden age, and GA prices are all over the map), but I think you could use that as a guide.

A scarce autograph (e.g., of someone who's now deceased like Joe Simon) would add value to most books, but I wouldn't think a common autograph like Neal Adams or Stan Lee would add much. (I think Steranko's autograph is fairly common, too.)

I don't subscribe to GPA (because I collect golden age, and GA prices are all over the map), but I think you could use that as a guide.

A scarce autograph (e.g., of someone who's now deceased like Joe Simon) would add value to most books, but I wouldn't think a common autograph like Neal Adams or Stan Lee would add much. (I think Steranko's autograph is fairly common, too.)

Well, several SA keys such as X-MEN #1, AF #15, FF #1, DD #1 etc... show price bumps in the hundreds of dollars for a STAN LEE signature... Just saying... But it does seem all over the map.

Stan Lee sig = 20% decline in value when compared to blue label. At least.

:baiting:

PS - Steranko's signature is gorgeous. He is very meticulous when signing anything.

The short answer is there is no rule of thumb to follow. Just watching sales, it appears signatures are more likely to add value to lower graded, less expensive books. With high grade keys you substantially shrink the number of collectors interested when it's signed. It also looks like signatures help restored books out more than unrestored. I think the SS label sort of minimizes some the stigma of the purple label - which on SS books is just a tiny purple band

sometimes books in same grade sell for more with sig sometimes less

I'm going with sig adds nothing to value unless its a hard to get sig maybe

PS - Steranko's signature is gorgeous. He is very meticulous when signing anything.

Examples? Im doubtful. :taptaptap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-King-Size-Special-1-Iconic-Cover-Signed-by-Steranko-Oct-1968-GD-/111294876396?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19e9b10aec

I've been known to pay more for signed books. Just sayin'...

some people do

some people like justin beiber too :baiting:

Examples? Im doubtful. :taptaptap:

+1

Stan Lee's sig can add about $200 to a book, but only If it is authenticated, usually by CGC. Go do an ebay completed listings search on Hulk 181 and you'll see that the signed books sell for much more. I will say that it seems like you narrow your audience when it comes to SS books, but you will usually sell it for more. Some collectors do think that a sig degrades the book, while some collectors pay a pretty penny for them.

The short answer is there is no rule of thumb to follow. Just watching sales, it appears signatures are more likely to add value to lower graded, less expensive books. With high grade keys you substantially shrink the number of collectors interested when it's signed. It also looks like signatures help restored books out more than unrestored. I think the SS label sort of minimizes some the stigma of the purple label - which on SS books is just a tiny purple band

+1 to this. CGC should invert the colors on the label making it mostly purple with a strip of yellow at the top with the "signature series" lettering. Too many sellers try to hide their restored books behind a stan lee signature. This does not add any real value or change in any way the fact that the book has been restored, they are just exploiting the fact that the label is now mostly yellow instead of purple and hoping the buyer won't notice or will subconsciously give the book a bit more of a pass on the fact that it has some restoration.

-J.