• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #48 vs. Silver Surfer #1:

24 posts in this topic

I have read that FF #48 was a warehouse find and as such is much more common than SS #1. I was looking to eventually get both of these books, but I wanted to know what one I should go after first as I am sure both will appreciate a little bit more in the near term before stabilizing (if that is even a possibility in the speculative driven era of Marvel movies). I would be going after both books in the 9.2/9.4 range. They would be CGC graded (as always) with OW or better page quality. Yes, I do have access to GPA and know their current price ranges. I am asking more about general availability and how they are viewed in the marketplace. FF #48 would be a much more valuable key if it was not for being a warehouse find and lacking SS on the cover. That being said, wasn't SS #1 part of the 1968 Marvel expansion?

SS#1 is such a cool cover, think I would buy that first. Both are very affordable so not sure it matters. I am in the minority for a person who thinks FF48 is honorable mention in top 20 SA. I focus more on significance than "value". Both great books IMHO.

good luck

To me FF48 is one of the most important comic books of the marvel age. I think its one of those stories that just caught fire and helped propel marvel forward so it would one day surpass DC in sales which was the giant at the time.

To me the first appearance of the silver surfer and galactus has always been far more important and valuable than silver surfer #1. Still you can't go wrong with either book and i have always viewed SS#1 as the king of those 68 start-ups and a true classic marvel in its own right.

I would also add a great copy of FF48 is much nicer when its accompanied by copies of 49 & 50. As it tells one of the greatest stories Lee ever imagined for his heroes. I don't think its just me growing up in the early 80's reading marvels and hearing them speak reverently of the FF defeating galactus with the ultimate nullifier back in the halcyon days that makes me believe this is a very important book for a "marvel age" collector. its not only the first appearance of 2 great characters and a classic story its also the finest moment of marvel's first family..

FF 48 is the bigger key because of the 1st appearances, but Surfer #1 is much much harder to find in higher grade because of the double sized binding and black cover. Plus we can all agree that book was read to death by almost everyone who had it

To me FF48 is one of the most important comic books of the marvel age. I think its one of those stories that just caught fire and helped propel marvel forward so it would one day surpass DC in sales which was the giant at the time.

To me the first appearance of the silver surfer and galactus has always been far more important and valuable than silver surfer #1. Still you can't go wrong with either book and i have always viewed SS#1 as the king of those 68 start-ups and a true classic marvel in its own right.

I would also add a great copy of FF48 is much nicer when its accompanied by copies of 49 & 50. As it tells one of the greatest stories Lee ever imagined for his heroes. I don't think its just me growing up in the early 80's reading marvels and hearing them speak reverently of the FF defeating galactus with the ultimate nullifier back in the halcyon days that makes me believe this is a very important book for a "marvel age" collector. its not only the first appearance of 2 great characters and a classic story its also the finest moment of marvel's first family..

100% Agree. (thumbs u

I have read that FF #48 was a warehouse find and as such is much more common than SS #1. I was looking to eventually get both of these books, but I wanted to know what one I should go after first as I am sure both will appreciate a little bit more in the near term before stabilizing (if that is even a possibility in the speculative driven era of Marvel movies). I would be going after both books in the 9.2/9.4 range. They would be CGC graded (as always) with OW or better page quality. Yes, I do have access to GPA and know their current price ranges. I am asking more about general availability and how they are viewed in the marketplace. FF #48 would be a much more valuable key if it was not for being a warehouse find and lacking SS on the cover. That being said, wasn't SS #1 part of the 1968 Marvel expansion?

Go with FF #48. I wouldn`t worry too much about it being a warehouse find.

It`s the first appearance of the Silver Surfer and Galactus. Two iconic characters.

It`s actually a good time to buy it, before another movie bump happens again.

A character like the Silver Surfer will get red-hot again, especially if Marvel ever gets the movie rights back eventually.

IMHO.

100% Agree. (thumbs u

Plus #50 has the first appearance of the ultimate nullifier!

There are 5 reasons I prefer FF 48 much more than SS 1.

1. K

2. I

3. R

4. B

5. Y

Stan's version of the Surfer suffered without The King, IMO.

I haven't read any of them in a long time, but on artistic merit alone, Silver Surfer is the rare Kirby character that I think Buscema did an even better job on. Another would be The Black Panther.

I'll take Buscema's Surfer over Kirby's, but only by the slightest margin.

Having said that, the FF 48-50 issues are a true Silver Age milestone. Takes place in that FF "sweet spot" that was @ issues 36-76. So, I'd go with the 48, especially if you can get a nice 49 and 50 to go with it.

Surfer 1 is a cool book, too.

Buscema's art is fine, it's what Stan did with the Surfer that I didn't love.

I am still wondering how different the Surfer would have been if handled more by Jack. Stan’s Surfer was a bit too much melodramatic… while the FF stories where the Surfer appears are… more balanced.

Anyway, without any doubt, FF #48 (and #49, and #50, and #72, etc. lol ).

Buscema's art is fine, it's what Stan did with the Surfer that I didn't love.

I am still wondering how different the Surfer would have been if handled more by Jack. Stan’s Surfer was a bit too much melodramatic… while the FF stories where the Surfer appears are… more balanced.

:D

Maybe more like this:

Surfer.jpg

There are 5 reasons I prefer FF 48 much more than SS 1.

1. K

2. I

3. R

4. B

5. Y

Stan's version of the Surfer suffered without The King, IMO.

This. No disrespect to John, but give me all of the SS's apps through FF#75 before SS #1. :grin: