• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Ditko ever do signings?

25 posts in this topic

Ditko rarely gives interviews. He looked at comics as a job and once done with a project he was finished with it. Ditko may have never even done a con in his life. So chances of getting Ditko to sign something is .00000000000000000000000001% for comics Ditko just doesn't get it and does not need the money

Ditko rarely gives interviews. He looked at comics as a job and once done with a project he was finished with it. Ditko may have never even done a con in his life. So chances of getting Ditko to sign something is .00000000000000000000000001% for comics Ditko just doesn't get it and does not need the money

Thats not true. Ditko did do at least two conventions in the 70's, and there are in fact a few books signed by him. I'm really surprised none have surfaced on the public market, the ones I've seen have been in private collections.

Does anyone know why Steve Ditko never signs anything? Is it because he's 86 years old and can't?

Send him a letter about something that interests him (not comics), and if it interests him enough, you will get a 10 page handwritten letter back with a signature.

I know a few people have tried to mail him comics to sign, but he sent them right back unsigned.

Steve Ditko

Steve Ditko Artist

200 West 51st Street

New York, NY 10019-6833

I had a friend who got a personal letter from Steve after sending him a photo of Steve to sign, it was hand written but Steve did not sign the photo or letter. It was a letter stating why he does not do autographs.

It'll never happen. He's an Ayn Rand nut who believes his work should speak for itself and that's that. That's why you'll never see him CGC or do interviews. He's a recluse. I heard he still had his Spidey art but considers it what it is. Art on paper, much like the stuff he's currently doing. Doesn't see it as having value despite numerous attempts by art reps to get that art in their hands.

The question really is, who gets his stuff when he croaks. Unless he decides to destroy it all before he meets his maker.

It'll never happen. He's an Ayn Rand nut who believes his work should speak for itself and that's that. That's why you'll never see him CGC or do interviews. He's a recluse. I heard he still had his Spidey art but considers it what it is. Art on paper, much like the stuff he's currently doing. Doesn't see it as having value despite numerous attempts by art reps to get that art in their hands.

The question really is, who gets his stuff when he croaks. Unless he decides to destroy it all before he meets his maker.

He is neither a nut nor a recluse. He has a set of principles that he lives by and he will not deviate from those principles for anything, even piles of money. I think that is something we should all aspire to.

He considers most of his art on the secondary market to have been stolen, the Spider-Man pages in particular. There are stories of people claiming to have visited Mr. Ditko and claiming that he was using Spider-Man art as a cutting board for whatever he was working on at the time.

Your lack of respect and sensitivity are impressive and are the primary reasons that he refuses to deal with fandom.

He is neither a nut nor a recluse. He has a set of principles that he lives by and he will not deviate from those principles for anything, even piles of money. I think that is something we should all aspire to.

He considers most of his art on the secondary market to have been stolen, the Spider-Man pages in particular. There are stories of people claiming to have visited Mr. Ditko and claiming that he was using Spider-Man art as a cutting board for whatever he was working on at the time.

Your lack of respect and sensitivity are impressive and are the primary reasons that he refuses to deal with fandom.

Actually his "Beliefs" and his visibly difficult personality are reasons he refuses to deal with ANYBODY. Why do you think he's going on Kickstarter to pimp out his new comic?

And yes, Ayn Rand was a nut and one which he undoubtedly follows. It's funny considering she was adamant about not giving anyone handouts yet, towards the end of her life, ended up going on Social Security and Medicare for assistance. Her "belief" didn't seem to help her in that respect.

Actually his "Beliefs" and his visibly difficult personality are reasons he refuses to deal with ANYBODY. Why do you think he's going on Kickstarter to pimp out his new comic?

And yes, Ayn Rand was a nut and one which he undoubtedly follows. It's funny considering she was adamant about not giving anyone handouts yet, towards the end of her life, ended up going on Social Security and Medicare for assistance. Her "belief" didn't seem to help her in that respect.

He's not going on kickstarter.

Robin, his working partner is.

Big difference.

I know that (I did read the Kickstarter) but he's still not selling his work to conventional publishers and needs to do that through this venture.

And no, I'm not denigrating Kickstarter. Many talented peeps use this to create something outside the system (like Greg Rucka, Jimmy Palmiotti). Those two work for other companies in order to branch out their body of work.

Assuming arguendo that she paid into the Medicare and Social Security system over the years then neither of those programs would be handouts, for her.

bordering precariously close to politics...

meh

Apparently you're not aware that both Social Security AND Medicare are DEDUCTED from your pay....? And that your employer also pays in...?