• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you consider a "rare" comic in terms of CGC census numbers?

17 posts in this topic

i can get behind that.

and 20 or less 'extremely rare'

af 15 is not rare at all-it's just in high demand

I'm with ya'......So what do you consider 'extremely rare' in terms of Mega Grails? All American 16, Pep 22? (maybe an Action 7 or 10)

Green Giant #1 is the rarest with only 10 known copies. Action #1 is plentiful in comparison.

http://superitch.com/images/2012/01/green_giant_comics_001_01_heritage1.jpg

My Uncanny X-Men #297 Gold Edition, supposedly one of the hardest and most popular UXM books to get among completists, is the 14th and newest one on the census right now!

It is also the only 9.0 on the census.

Id say there are dozens of rarer books? Not going to profess to be an expert in what the very rarest books are but just off the top of my head I believe there are only 8 known motion picture funnies weekly (EXTANT not "graded") and that one is also a lot closer to being a grail, fwiw.

Or double action 2 i suspect? Or lord knows what else. Certainly every single Canadian white on the census has less than 10 graded copies and many have less than 10 extant. But even if you don't count the cdn books I suspect there are many books where only a few copies exist? Ill leave it to better GA minds than mine to answer your question, but as I said one that stands out right away is MPFW.

You can not judge rarity with the CGC census. There are plenty of books that have not been graded and for good reason - they're not worth slabbing.

Rarity is derived by the amount of surviving books which is a factor of time, print runs, material used, and distribution.

The best way has been the scarcity index in the Gerber books (and even those may be off due to warehouse finds after publishing). Also, OSPG has noted what they consider scarce books.

Scarcity/rarity in grade is also a factor to take into account.

I look at the comic in grade. If there are only one or two 9.8's say, then that's a rare book.

or its a book that isn't worth grading.

Even bronze. Supergear, etc. Perhaps cancelled comic cavalcade with its 35 copies printed.

probably even the odd limited run copper book if I think hard enough. Books that would come close would be Gobbledygook with its 50 copies printed or albedo 0 yellow with the same # printed although I don't think those are quite rare enough. however Im sure there are rarer copper books if one really thought about it.

I look at the comic in grade. If there are only one or two 9.8's say, then that's a rare book.

or its a book that isn't worth grading.

Or it’s simply a book for which there is not much collecting interest in terms of CGC copies. Not all important books are necessarily the most collected. :)