• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art market

68 posts in this topic

Well, and there it is. I was going to say that your real issue is the price paid. Its stupid, but I'm not sure its any more stupid than a $2m Action 1. That's a lot of pretentiousness and ego for a story you can read for $1.

Anyways, I hope you don't mind me challenging your thought here. Just fun and helps us all understand our motivations in collecting IMO.

Oh, it is definitely the price paid for it.

As they say: I don't know art but I know what I like.

And I don't mind being challenged. One of my great faults is I am very opinionated, though, and I can't help myself but to express them. I probably should just hold my tongue more often than I do.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion and expressing it.

CRI_151125.jpg

That painting is fantastic. If it was a Hellblazer cover, I'd be all over it. lol

you know, its a funny response :) but it does show how far ahead of its time it was. You're absolutely right that it would look at home on hellblazer, and that's 50 years later!

Since Gene brought up Lichtenstein earlier this article probably is on topic.

http://comicsalliance.com/deconstructing-lichtenstein-source-comics-revealed-and-credited/

it has a link to a flickr account that shows all the comic artists he ripped off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deconstructing-roy-lichtenstein/

Here is an article from the Village Voice that discusses the same topic.

The Misbegotten Career of Roy Lichtenstein

Edited by Mike Jackson

^ lol great graphic.

The lichtenstein thing was discussed earlier ad nauseum

Let me summarize pages and pages of that thread for you:

Some people don't like Roy Lichtenstein.

Other people like Roy Lichtenstein.

^ lol great graphic.

Well put. I think that about covers it.

^ lol great graphic.

I guess I should have started reading from beginning instead of the end.

What I got from it was some people like Vanilla Ice and some people like Queen. :slapfight:

What I got from it was some people like Vanilla Ice and some people like Queen. :slapfight:

I re-read about the first third of the thread...it's pretty interesting that those living in cosmopolitan cities with major concentrations of wealth and/or culture (e.g., NYC, Hong Kong, Los Angeles) seem to have a much more open mind about Lichtenstein and Modern/Contemporary art than those residing in the rural, southern/southwestern and Midwestern parts of the U.S.; Canada (ex-Toronto/Montreal); or the U.K. (ex-London). hm

I'm not sure what Chris' (Chicago) excuse is, though. :baiting:

I re-read about the first third of the thread...it's pretty interesting that those living in cosmopolitan cities with major concentrations of wealth and/or culture (e.g., NYC, Hong Kong, Los Angeles) seem to have a much more open mind about Lichtenstein and Modern/Contemporary art than those residing in the rural, southern/southwestern and Midwestern parts of the U.S.; Canada (ex-Toronto/Montreal); or the U.K. (ex-London). hm

I had a lot more respect for Lichtenstein until I discovered it was blatant theft.

I mean, how hard would it have been to create his own panels. Lazy and talentless.

At least Pollock created something original and Warhol's art was more a commentary on consumerism and didn't belittle what he stole from.

I like Lucien Freud's art (wouldn't pay much for it, tho) but Francis Bacon's work reminds me of stuff I created when I was 10 and refused to paint inside the numbers. :grin:

Edited by Mike Jackson

^ lol great graphic.

lol

I had a lot more respect for Lichtenstein until I discovered it was blatant theft.

Agree on Lichtenstein 100%. Redrawing a Kirby or Gil Kane panel doesn't do a lot for me.

CRI_151125.jpg

That painting is fantastic. If it was a Hellblazer cover, I'd be all over it. lol

you know, its a funny response :) but it does show how far ahead of its time it was. You're absolutely right that it would look at home on hellblazer, and that's 50 years later!

It's funny, I can see why pop or conceptual contemporary art might not be the comic art crowd's cup of tea, but I would have bet there'd be a lot of love for Bacon. Outside of his obvious impact on the art world, you can see traces of his influence on a lot of the more painterly comic art, IMO.

So basically if you don't agree with Gene you're a country bumpkin? lol:baiting:

I noticed that, too. It looks like the effete elitist city dwellers are too intimidated by their peers to say that the emperor has no clothes while the salt of the earth, independent-minded call it as they see it. :baiting: