• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And so it begins

15 posts in this topic

Go-Go Checks

After my long wait - the go-go check set is a live competitive set. I couldn't be happier.

It feels good to have all my ducks in a row and to be able to visualize where I want/need to focus to improve my set.

500+ books is a big set, and there a many that I don't anticipate every acquiring in high grade - but with so many issues to chose from - that's ok. It'll be a long time before I am down to only 'hard to find' issues.

Thank you everyone that has supported me along the way!

Happy Hunting!

Lee K

15292.jpg

See more journals by Lee K

I am going after you young man

Ronny - I love your passion for comics! You're a great man to know.

You just put as many books in the go-go set as you want - you're going to get some good books as you work on your Showcase set.

See you soon!

Lee K

I've heard the term "Go-Go Checks" for the past few years. Obviously it is a checkerboard. Where did the "Go-Go" portion of it come from?

My understanding (and I may well be wrong) is that it comes from the advertising. Many of the house adds inside the books said things like:

For the best in comics, Go! Go! GO!

or:

When buying comics, first check, then double-check

It also has some overlap with the go-go music period (think Beach Blanket Bingo) - and there were some attempts to be hip - Check out the characters 'Super-Hip' (he's in the Adventures of Bob Hope), The Maniaks (in Showcase) and Scooter (Swing with Scooter) and although it misses the go-go check period (Angel & the Ape), plus much of the fashion shown on the covers of the Romance books. The Beatles even make a rare cover appearance on one of the Romance issues from this period.

In any instance - they are a theme that looks good together.

Thanks for your interest!

First, I want to thank you for having the pictures of each book. It was quite a walk down memory lane.

Good luck to you in your Grail Quest. I'm sure it will be lots of fun.

Regards,

James

Thank you James.

I really believe that without pictures, I'm not 'sharing' my collection with friends - I'm just racking up points based on some obscure algorithym that I don't think is a good fit for every collection.

Pictures - they're why I look at other peoples' collections.

Lee

Congrats Lee! I totally know the satisfaction in finally getting your focused set created. Your pics look great, and the book with the highest point total? Batman 181 in 9.2...nice display you have for that one. I'm not a DC fan myself, but I like the Justice League and Strange Adventures covers best I think...and that Young Love cover is pretty hot, lol. Looking forward to reading more about your journey to build out this set.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Congrats Lee! I totally know the satisfaction in finally getting your focused set created. Your pics look great, and the book with the highest point total? Batman 181 in 9.2...nice display you have for that one. I'm not a DC fan myself, but I like the Justice League and Strange Adventures covers best I think...and that Young Love cover is pretty hot, lol. Looking forward to reading more about your journey to build out this set.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Thanks Surfer -

Yeah - I'm pretty excited. There's a couple of repairs that need to be done to the set: a whole title with four issues is missing, and another run with three issues won't accept my submissions yet - but I sent Nicole a PM on that. It'll get fixed soon enough.

Batman 181 is the star of the set, or at least of the books that I have so far - Detective 359 is the only one of the 4 'big' issues that I don't have yet, that's the first Batgirl (Barbara Gordon, not Alicia Silverstone, thank you comic gods). That one may end up being the point king, or queen, once I have it.

See you soon

Lee