• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Golden Age Collecting is Fun

55 posts in this topic

I

Even as I write this I am running a machine I designed and built that produces nanoscale metal wires as a prototype to a much stronger predecessor: Carbon Nanotubes. Another project I am working on is increasing SOD production in cytoplasm to result in reduced free radical damage to the nucleus. I

That sounds like important work! :applause:

I

Even as I write this I am running a machine I designed and built that produces nanoscale metal wires as a prototype to a much stronger predecessor: Carbon Nanotubes. Another project I am working on is increasing SOD production in cytoplasm to result in reduced free radical damage to the nucleus. I

That sounds like important work! :applause:

Thanks! Apparently the university I am at thinks so, I just got the go-ahead to test my samples in the SEM we have! :)

I usually lurk on this forum (great info from fantastic collectors, how can I not? :) ) but I thought I would mention why I collect golden ages. I started seriously a few months ago but I have been at it since I was around 10.

That is awesome, welcome! (thumbs u

I myself started collecting comics from the 1930s when I was in my teens (italian Disney comics, to be precise).

I am a scientist and a dabbler in general, leading to me trying very odd things in the name of science. Much of my inspiration has come from comic books and I feel a need to repay that debt to them by collecting, protecting, and archiving them ESPECIALLY the golden ages. They hold the most unique and pure (as in the influence of them are only from themselves or an obvious source) ideas that one can build upon.

And that is definitely NOT what happens today…

And to answer the question of age, I am twenty years old and will be twenty one in July.

That is even more awesome – I hope you’ll stay… :)

I just got back into my collection (after a LONG time away). I've so far bought two GA books.

Why do I love them? Because they are so freaking awesome!

Why do I hate them? Because there are so many great titles that I want to collect and I know that I can't possibly do that at the price that each issue costs.

I am considering building a type set with maybe one or two issues of a variety of different titles, since there is no way I'll ever complete a set that has more than 15-20 books. Maybe my favorite 50 titles, one book each from Pre 1950?

I have 3 GA books. They're interesting books, and you're right. . . I went to a small local show, and couldn't believe the diversity of books from that era.

I've always had some kind of plan (which is open ended in case I find a fun book), but every time I get a GA book, I think, "I need to get more into that timeframe."

I usually lurk on this forum (great info from fantastic collectors, how can I not? :) ) but I thought I would mention why I collect golden ages. I started seriously a few months ago but I have been at it since I was around 10.

That is awesome, welcome! (thumbs u

I myself started collecting comics from the 1930s when I was in my teens (italian Disney comics, to be precise).

I am a scientist and a dabbler in general, leading to me trying very odd things in the name of science. Much of my inspiration has come from comic books and I feel a need to repay that debt to them by collecting, protecting, and archiving them ESPECIALLY the golden ages. They hold the most unique and pure (as in the influence of them are only from themselves or an obvious source) ideas that one can build upon.

And that is definitely NOT what happens today…

And to answer the question of age, I am twenty years old and will be twenty one in July.

That is even more awesome – I hope you’ll stay… :)

I don't think I have ever seen any Italian Disney comics, have any pictures of yours that you are willing to share? And I don't plan on going anywhere, this forum is too enticing for me to leave!

Griff and Caddotx, how old are you? I'm always curious to know the ages of collectors that move to GA. Conventional wisdom is that GA collectors are an older crowd, but I don't think that to be the case.

I've found quite a few younger GA collectors as I've built my EC collection (I'm 33). I think the perception that it's an older group is because us younger guys do much more reading than posting - there's a huge amount of knowledge to be learned!

love this thread. golden age excites me because I look at myself as someone who will keep these rare books safe and preserved and the fact (mentioned above) that very few copies exist of certain issues excites me even more.

I'm 33 too and started collecting when I was 12...mostly 90's stuff, then when I got back into collecting 3 years ago I started going wild with the bronze stuff I could never quite afford as a kid.

That phase quickly passed to realize I could own some silver stuff, but soon realized the silver prices were high and plentiful and I could get golden/atomic age stuff much cheaper, and they were much more rare.

The thrill of the hunt excited me and still does. This stuff was old to me even as a kid which makes me even more thankful when I score a find. Now I'm into golden collecting only. But I do read moderns and TPB's of just about anything...

I have recently started collecting GA as well. I have never had any interest except reading when it came to other eras, so I finally have something I want to collect.

I got an issue of Gangbusters from the PIF thread and it just went from there.

I'd have to say my favorite thing to collect is Dell and Four Color. I have been able to focus that down a little into cartoon funnies and westerns. I have since focused even further into Zane Grey stuff, Rifleman issues and Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies.

So much fun!

I have recently started collecting GA as well. I have never had any interest except reading when it came to other eras, so I finally have something I want to collect.

I got an issue of Gangbusters from the PIF thread and it just went from there.

I'd have to say my favorite thing to collect is Dell and Four Color. I have been able to focus that down a little into cartoon funnies and westerns. I have since focused even further into Zane Grey stuff, Rifleman issues and Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies.

So much fun!

Yea, I had to narrow down my focus as well, otherwise I would be penniless in a day. :sick: That sounds like a fun set to collect, I have been collecting Captain Science, that bugger is hard to find good copies without losing an arm and a leg! :frustrated:

That's one of my favorite things about Four Color. You can get so many of those issues for such a great price. I'm also not worried about buying in high grade at this point.

My plan is to learn my favorite issues as I collect and someday, upgrade those specific issues.

0.05%?

I don't know. I've been able to pick up somewhere between 20 and 30 Four Color issues. Mostly just stuff I really like. Westerns and Cartoon books.

Something I noticed happening is I would really like a book and start getting that book's regular series. So, I have gotten and read a ton of Looney Tunes and Rifleman issues. Also, really like all of the Zane Grey stuff. King of the Royal Mounted is a ton of fun.

Also, really like all of the Zane Grey stuff. King of the Royal Mounted is a ton of fun.

KING OF THE ROYAL MOUNTED was always a favorite, but I was only able

to pick up one issue from the newsstand.

8519392418_64cd6d5a58.jpg

mm

Also, really like all of the Zane Grey stuff. King of the Royal Mounted is a ton of fun.

KING OF THE ROYAL MOUNTED was always a favorite, but I was only able

to pick up one issue from the newsstand.

8519392418_64cd6d5a58.jpg

mm

Surprising. I thought Dell books blanketed the universe in those days. hm

I like SA a lot.

But I like GA even more.

One of the main reasons is the art. Just Love the art in so many GA comics.

For example, I just bought the following book from cheetah's sales thread in the sales forum. The cover is so amazing to me. It actually mesmerizes me. I stare and get lost inside it - really. (And that's just from looking at it online - I don't even have it in hand yet; when I do get it in hand, it will be that much more powerful). And then when you combine the art with the history of WWII, well that adds a whole another dimension to it. It is a privilege to be able to get a book like this, and in that grade no less!

146647.jpg.5b4a1f549a21641f63d9d1567f6055cb.jpg