• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you do at Comic Conventions?

79 posts in this topic

Basically, I don't function particularly well in a crowded, convention environment and get little done, so I prefer to buy books and commissions throughout the year, giving me something to look forward to picking up on the day - and that makes attending the event worthwhile.

The other highlight is meeting up with the Brit boardies. They're a good bunch.

First hit artist alley for signatures and/or sketches if there's someone there I'm hankerin' for, or someone new/local that's still undiscovered but awesome.

Then on to the dealers.

My only con is DragonCon, so there aren't many comic book vendors (8-12) , so it doesnt take long to go thru them.

Once Im done, its back to artist alley to pick up sketches and then hang out checking out the cos-play (all of it not just the scantily clad) which at DragonCon is amazing.

I buy books. Catch up with old friends, bug a few dealers I don't like. One of my hilights of every convention is to approach Rich Muchin, engage him in a conversation and see how long it takes him to look up from his newspaper. I'll stroll thru Artists Alley but rarely buy anything. If I find an artist from the Three Minute Sketchbook who hasn't yet signed it, I'll stop for that.

Here's my Top-10 list:

10) Check out the assortment of free stuff that people are walking around with.

9) Geek out over the latest celebrity, even though I tell my friends, "I don't care."

8) Feel old when I pass by worn-out celebs from my childhood who are Botoxed to the gills and signing old glossies for $20.

7) Go to Creators Row and grumble that the lines for artists and writers are shorter than the lines for the above-mentioned celebrities.

6) Spend too much time waiting for a pretzel and now can't get into the panel I originally came for because it's full.

5) Opt instead for the most unusual panel I can find. Anyone remember "The Legion of Superheroes Gay Fandom" panel?

4) Browse long/short boxes for killer deals. Pass on obvious killer deal hoping to get a better score elsewhere. Come back and the deal is gone.

3) Get requisite selfie with Power-Girl.

2) Sit. Rest. Watch the parade of conventioneers.

1) Best of all, worship comics in person that I would never be able to afford - Tec 27, Marvel Mystery Comics #1, etc.

To me conventions are just a big party.

If I'm at a con I'm off work and it's time to relax.

I usually to "work' a con for about 4 hours early and them by lunch I call it a day to socialize and drink quality beverages.

I came up with this formula of hitting a con hard for 4 hours because I make bad decisions after working over that time period straight.

I usually over pay and miss stuff in the grade...

I'm sure that when this news gets out if I'm ever heading out to lunch again the dealers will say "hey wally I just got a box of sweet keys in" and I'll pay over guide and miss significant errors.

Over paying is one thing but I've worked 6 hours straight at a con and missed stupid stuff like sub folds and that's about as rookie as you can get.

I cosplay at the majority of the cons I attend, but usually I get sketches and go to panels as well.

Pictures? :grin:

I take off all my clothes and run around naked until security catches me.

Please, whatever you do, no pictures! :sick: