• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 35

11 posts in this topic

maybe an 8.5 in hand. Trimmed??
Nope, not trimmed.

So what? Is that the story behind the book? It's not trimmed?

7.5 IMHO!smiley-gen130.gif

The link for the large scan of the back cover is not working. Maybe a bit higher but I am not sure about the spine on the back cover without a closer look!

Nope, not trimmed.

The link for the large scan of the back cover is not working. Maybe a bit higher but I am not sure about the spine on the back cover without a closer look!

Its the oldest pressed book I own. It was pressed by my dad in the 70's after he got it for free since the guy at the comic shop thought it was too wrinkled. He ironed it for around fifteen minutes he told me, only putting a think piece of cloth as a buffer between the iron, and the comic. I think its interesting to see what a comic that was pressed decades ago looks like today, in case there are any defects from it. The comic also didn't have any staples, so he re stapled it after he pressed it also. I wanted to see if anybody on the boards could spot the replaced staples. I wasn't sure if people would because of how old they are.

Nope, not trimmed.

Its the oldest pressed book I own. It was pressed by my dad in the 70's after he got it for free since the guy at the comic shop thought it was too wrinkled. He ironed it for around fifteen minutes he told me, only putting a think piece of cloth as a buffer between the iron, and the comic. I think its interesting to see what a comic that was pressed decades ago looks like today, in case there are any defects from it. The comic also didn't have any staples, so he re stapled it after he pressed it also. I wanted to see if anybody on the boards could spot the replaced staples. I wasn't sure if people would because of how old they are.

It looks VF to me in the scan (based on CGC's grading). I would never have caught the replaced staples in the scan. In hand, maybe. Did he feed new staples through the old holes or did he just re-staple it and create a second set of holes? The later would be much easier to catch, obviously. The best way to catch the former is by looking for slight tearing of the centerfold and tool marks on the staples.

Nope, not trimmed.

It looks VF to me in the scan (based on CGC's grading). I would never have caught the replaced staples in the scan. In hand, maybe. Did he feed new staples through the old holes or did he just re-staple it and create a second set of holes? The later would be much easier to catch, obviously. The best way to catch the former is by looking for slight tearing of the centerfold and tool marks on the staples.

I asked him that same questions about the staples, told me that he didn't see any holes, I think that this comic was actually some type of printing error, I checked the center fold, and I didn't see any extra holes where the previous staples would have been. I'm thinking of submitting it to CGC just to see if they would catch it or not.

Nope, not trimmed.

I asked him that same questions about the staples, told me that he didn't see any holes, I think that this comic was actually some type of printing error, I checked the center fold, and I didn't see any extra holes where the previous staples would have been. I'm thinking of submitting it to CGC just to see if they would catch it or not.

If your dad installed staples back in the 70's when he acquired the book then those would be considered "vintage staples" and would not effect the grade.

The story is cool and if you do submit it to CGC please keep us informed as to the outcome! Best of luck! It would definitely be worthy of a slab!

I still say 7.5 IMHO!smiley-gen130.gif