• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade this copy of FF#48? Qualified label or blue?

45 posts in this topic

The only items of note are:

1) Minor abrasions to top and bottom spine corners;

2) Very minor blunting to top right corner of front cover;

3) Very minor color flecks along top edge of front cover

4) Very light moisture staining at top, left side, and bottom of back cover.

The rest of the book is gorgeous. Mirror like gloss with no surface impressions and a virtually flawless spine.

What do you guys think? Blue label or Green, and what grade?

ff48.jpg

ff48b.jpg

Why are you thinking green?

Same here confused-smiley-013.gif

Well...back in the day, I did see an Iron Man and Sub-mariner 1 with water damage on the BC get a qualified label! foreheadslap.gif

7.5 or 8.0 and blue. Why are you thinking green?

Because aside from the very light water staining -- which is limited to the back cover only and would substantially lower the otherwise very high grade book (a textbook example of a book that gets a green label) -- the book is structurally a 9.2 to 9.4.

But thanks for your opinion. It isn't my book -- I posted it for someone I know who isn't a board member, because he asked me to grade the book and I thought it was a toughie.

More opinions welcome, so keep them coming, guys.

FWIW, I'd give it a 9.2 or 9.4 Qualified if I were CGC. If there were no such thing as a qualified label, I would agree with your 7.5 to 8.0, Pete. thumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Ive only sign Q books, that were signed on the cover, HG but had staple pulls, or missing coupons or ads,

What day are we talking about it confused-smiley-013.gif

Before your day. In 2000/2001 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Ive only sign Q books, that were signed on the cover, HG but had staple pulls, or missing coupons or ads,

What day are we talking about it confused-smiley-013.gif

Borock's classic example of a green label book is a NM book with a 2-inch tear on the back cover.

Sounds similar to what we have here. When you put this book next to every other 7.5 or 8.0 out there, it would blow them away. But the very light water stains on the back cover do have to be taken into account. confused-smiley-013.gif

Centerfold seperation will get a Q label. gossip.gif
Not if the book isn't high grade otherwise! confused-smiley-013.gif

That is the truest form of a Q label. The book is in X condition, but there is a single flaw that may not drop it down to a lower grade.

That is the truest form of a Q label. The book is in X condition, but there is a single flaw that may not drop it down to a lower grade.

Yeah...but if it's low grade, it will get an universal grade. I've seen one and a poster on the Golden Age forums was upset that he got a book with a detached centerfold but an universal label.

Here's the link --> Linkie poo

Since you've posted several times on this thread, why not offer a grading opinion? That goes for the rest of you as well. This book can't be THAT hard to grade, can it?

Since you've posted several times on this thread, why not offer a grading opinion? That goes for the rest of you as well. This book can't be THAT hard to grade, can it?

Sorry mom...

I grade it a C+ ... your thesis needs some tweaking and I asked for an explication, not a clarification.

Sorry mom...

I grade it a C+ ... your thesis needs some tweaking and I asked for an explication, not a clarification.

Thanks for your input. You get an F for using a non-standard grading scale. screwy.gif

Sorry mom...

Thanks for your input. You get an F for using a non-standard grading scale. screwy.gif

I didn't even post that.

I think my account has been hijacked.

Ok guys, here are my thoughts:

1) In order to get a qualified label, a book generally has to be HG.

I've personally seen no lower than an 8.5 (Q).

2) On less frequent occasions, low grade books are given the Q grade when they are a very special issue (e.g. the census shows a number of Hulk #181Q's down to as low as 3.5 - presumedly without MVS's or with coupons cut).

3) I've never seen a book receive a Q grade, where the defect has been water damage.

This IS a gorgeous book, and it has the slightest of water STAINS, with what appears to be very little water damage (yes, there is a difference.)

I seriously doubt this book would grade under a VF 8.0, and if it did, then I'm first in line to buy it!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif