• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why was John Carter of mars so underrated?

66 posts in this topic

So I was watching the movie and i thought it was a good movie.. I also wonder what the book goes for... hm

Really would like to see a sequel too this one..

if only there was somewhere you could see what this book sells for.....

I liked it too. I think not enough kids allowed the film enough leeway, not caring to respect that although the film was filled with concepts and scenes that they have seen in movies already, that these concepts that made it into movies years ago all owed a debt to Burroughs and Carter for having pioneered the genre.

If you sit there thinking " they stole that from Star Wars"' , or "why couldn't they be more original", you missed the point.

Of course, that's a lot to ask of people who go to big budget movies JUST to see something new and original, and have little care for a "bigger picture" in terms of the source material of ALL such films.

I saw this film, I thought it was entertaining but over all rather average.

They missed an opportunity to really make an amazing film in my opinion.

The issue to me was the story got lost in the visual spectacle of well done special effects.

If I had not read the books, or all of the comics I may have had no idea what or why anything was happening.

Our family enjoyed the movie and have watched it a few times. What keeps it from being a really good movie is the mid section - it's confusing and gets hung up in the whole Dotar whataever power struggle. It got overly tedious. It took a 2nd watching to understand what was happening. Ending was really good. Like the look and feel of the civil war era scenes.

Movie needed to be tightened up a bit with the storytelling, but overall a decent movie. However, it didn't leave me clamoring for more.