• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for your thoughts on something...

57 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a comic art cover. In my opinion, it is one of the best depictions of a superhero I have ever seen. But, when I tell other collectors about the acquisition, the response is fairly consistently in the form of a question - ‘The one where he’s just standing there?’

So, I’m curious. What do you consider to be the best example of a superhero cover with no action? Think of the featured character standing motionless before the viewer. He or she is expressing a supra-humanism – but there is no flying, no fighting and no sitting in remorse amid some wreckage.

I would enjoy the board’s thoughts on the matter – and will certainly aggregate results and share them after leaving the question open for the next two weeks. And, I will, of course, share my cover.

There is a small component of the board that knows about the cover already – you (Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari) are not allowed to participate!

Hope all is well with everyone. Looking forward to your thoughts.

- Chris

For the record, that wasn't my reaction! I like the cover you got quite a bit...congrats again!

Not "standing there", but "sitting there": The Frank Quitely ALL-STAR SUPERMAN #1 cover. It seems to have an equal number of fans and detractors (including Chip Kidd, who publicly trashed it). I don't love it myself, but it IS a fitting cover for the series. It works. I'd say the same for your cover, at the very least.

What do you consider to be the best example of a superhero cover with no action?

There are tons of great examples, depending on how little action qualifies as 'no action':

'Tec 31

Superman 14

Wolverine 1 mini

McSpidey 1

Let me answer your question in two ways -

First - you say that in your opinion it is one of the best depictions of a superhero you have ever seen, correct? To that I say - fantastic. THAT is all that matters. Everything else is irrelevant. That's why we should be buying things, because WE value and appreciate it. So congratulations!

But if you're honestly looking for an answer to what is really an unanswerable question - what is the "best" cover without action? I think you're going to get a list of any number of iconic covers. My favorite has always been Amazing Spider-Man #50.

Here is an example of a cover where there isn't any action, just the heroes. Personally I love it and it would definitely be hanging on my wall if I owned it.

justiceLeague.jpg

Here is one that is in my collection and I love the look and feel of it. No action, just Spiderman walking away in the rain holding his mask in his hand. Personally, I don't think it gets much better than this one.

jeff_jones_splash.jpg

First - you say that in your opinion it is one of the best depictions of a superhero you have ever seen, correct? To that I say - fantastic. THAT is all that matters. Everything else is irrelevant. That's why we should be buying things, because WE value and appreciate it. So congratulations!

But if you're honestly looking for an answer to what is really an unanswerable question - what is the "best" cover without action? I think you're going to get a list of any number of iconic covers. My favorite has always been Amazing Spider-Man #50.

I like FMAZ's answer.

There is certainly more than one definitive cover of any hero that's been around 20+ years.

MODS, please delete the posts of Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari :baiting:

145846.jpg.638c127fd0509dc024215801e485922d.jpg

ASM #50 is the first one I thought of.

Wolverine LS #1 is great as well.

Sandman #1 & 8

Planetary #21 & 25

For the record, that wasn't my reaction! I like the cover you got quite a bit...congrats again!

Not "standing there", but "sitting there": The Frank Quitely ALL-STAR SUPERMAN #1 cover. It seems to have an equal number of fans and detractors (including Chip Kidd, who publicly trashed it). I don't love it myself, but it IS a fitting cover for the series. It works. I'd say the same for your cover, at the very least.

That's a good one...and that was NOT your reaction. As a point of clarification, I have no issue with the response/question - and it does not impact my enjoyment of the cover in any way.

What do you consider to be the best example of a superhero cover with no action?

There are tons of great examples, depending on how little action qualifies as 'no action':

'Tec 31

Superman 14

Wolverine 1 mini

McSpidey 1

The 'Tec 31 and the McSpidey 1 are probably closer to what I was thinking than the Supes 14 (one of my favorite covers of all time, but he is posed with an eagle on his arm) and the Wolverine 1 mini (the grinning invite to engage and his 'come & get it' finger). That 'Tec 31 is an interesting one...

Here is an example of a cover where there isn't any action, just the heroes. Personally I love it and it would definitely be hanging on my wall if I owned it.

justiceLeague.jpg

The JL #1 is a great one...I had a recreation of that one at one point. Very much along the lines of what drove my question.

In most cases, "Iconic & Memorable" trumps "number of cross-hatched lines" and "action pose". (though having all three is better than having just the one).

There have literally been thousands of Superman covers drawn since the character's creation. Kudos to Frank for giving us something we'd never seen before which we all seem to remember.