• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Pressing Grade Increases You've Seen?

55 posts in this topic

I'm curious gang. What is the largest grade increase, or perceived grade increase, you've ever seen from pressing?

I'm about to submit my first batch to JOEYPOST and I'm wondering what I can reasonably expect from the process. Pressing is not something I've ever supported, but I've caved in and decided that it's time for me to grab a piece of the pie too! Is it unreasonable to hope that an 8.5 with ncb creasing can be pressed up to 9.4 or higher? Can some dimples on an otherwise pristine book be removed and thus allow for the possibility of a 9.9 or 10.0???

Please share your experiences.

Thanks!

I remember a thread about a book that went from a 6.0 to a 9.4 or something like that. A HUGE bump in grade.

I'll let the detectives find the thread in question.

On Joey's site, he shows a 9.0 Tomb of Dracula 1 transformed in a 9.8

Hard to say, but looking at the book should give you an idea.

Some of my biggest bumps are a VG+ pressed to a 9.0 and a VG pressed to a 8.0.

Pressing a 8.5-9.0 to a 9.6 isn't that uncommon.

I've had a VF/NM pressed to 9.8.

Just sent in an x-men 12 with massive spine roll (used css with three others that were part of my coupon submission ) - would probably be a 4.0 without pressing. Will post results once it gets back. Not expecting a huge bump as there was creasing issues as well - but should be an easy 5. Also did a hulk 182 that looks to have only pressible issues (would probably be a 7.5).

so - in six weeks will have some good recent results

Just sent in an x-men 12 with massive spine roll (used css with three others that were part of my coupon submission ) - would probably be a 4.0 without pressing. Will post results once it gets back. Not expecting a huge bump as there was creasing issues as well - but should be an easy 5. Also did a hulk 182 that looks to have only pressible issues (would probably be a 7.5).

I'm interested to see if you actually get them back in six weeks (even just graded). Best of luck with the grades.

I had raws go from 8.0 to 9.4 and an 8.0 to 9.2...But the thing you have to remember is generally many raws are under graded so when they get pressed the bump is less than you think. Of course on the other hand sometimes it is what it is

My first submission to CGC was a ASM 129 and ASM 28 both very nice but unpressed came back 9.2 and 8.5. I always wonder if I pressed those 2 (shrug)

I'm not really worried about pressing or dry cleaning. I just sent my first batch to Joey as well. I sent him some mid/lower grade, lower value stuff with some major issues and one with just a few minor issues (but maybe worse than I thought (shrug) ) . One has been previously graded by CGC and was cracked out 13 years ago and the other grades were "estimated" via "Hey buddy, can you spare me a grade?" We'll see how they come back.

To me, cleaning and pressing is really like waxing, detailing and tuning up an all-original classic car. Would you leave the car in the garage for 40, 50 or 60 years and then take it directly to a show...with money on the line? Hell no!!! You'll make it look the best you can. Will you repaint, no...but you'll wax! Will you replace the engine, no...but you'll tune it up! It's just not restoration, it's presentation and preservation! There is a difference. Anyway, can any one of us not blame ourselves for the push toward this process? We all (or most of us anyway) strive for the best graded copy we can attain. Naturally, that drives up prices and increases demand for higher grades. So, the people looking to sell want to amass the greatest profit, so they press and clean. A 9.4 is worth a large percentage more than a 7.5, so if you can get it there without full-on resto...why not? On that same note, if I have a 4.0 and can get a 6.5 with a clean and a press...I say more power to ya! I personally would rather have a blue label pressed to a 9.4 and looking clean and sharp over a "natural" blue 7.5. That being said, I'd rather have a dirty blue label 7.5 rather than a purple 9.4! Just my 2c !

The correct question isn't what is the best a good press can do for a book. You're just setting yourself up for a disappointment there. Cheetah just had a thread where he talked about average bump and it looked like the ones that were deemed to have pressable defects averaged a one grade increment bump. So a 5.0 becomes a 5.5 and a 9.2 becomes a 9.4, etc. again this was with books that were deemed to have pressable defects (about two-thirds of the books he sent in.

I'm interested to see if you actually get them back in six weeks (even just graded). Best of luck with the grades.

I know there are no guarantees - but I did expedited pressing with CSS (2-3 weeks) and the CGC coupon (which is listed as three weeks).

impatient already

:busy:

I had one book go from 6.5 to 9.0. Wish it were mine but it was for a friend. At mega-con had an older batman go from a 2.0 to a 6.0 removing a wicked spine roll and taking off half a pound of dirt from the book.