• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WILBUR COMICS

22 posts in this topic

While looking up my copy of WILBUR COMICS #10 I see there is no

set for them, with very few graded and no number 10 on the census.

8460907775_66a834d40b.jpg

mm

I really like Wilbur, he doesn't get the same love as other Archie titles but I still think the art was great. I completed the run a long time ago, but some of my books could really use an upgrade. Think my number eight and 14 for the prettiest in the lower numbers. I have a decent copy of number 1 … I'm not sure what that book rates as far as scarcity, but I have to say you never see them for sale!

Oh, nice copy of 10 by the way!

I agree. I especially like the Wilbur stories that are the same as Archie stories, just redrawn.

I have the Crippen copy of #1, and it's one of only three copies of that issue I've seen.

I like the series but have never attempted to collect it. I have two copies of #1, one is a Library of Congress copy. I have 2 number 5's as well since it's the first appearance of Katy Keene.

I think the latter issues in the 1950's have some great stories and artwork, comparable with Archie's of that era, Maybe rising interest in older Archie books may someday spread to Wilbur.

And just one more for fun ... apparently I have the highest graded Wilbur #11, a 7.0. Interestingly if you check the census for Wilbur Comics and go to #11 it will show only 1 graded at 3.5. Then search for Wilber Comics. Apparently CGC misspelled the title on the label and there is a #11 and a #37 under that spelling. Wonder if I can send for a re-slab?

I love my little Wilbur run :cloud9: I suspect one of the reasons #1 never comes up for sale is because they don't sell for that much money and no one ever wants to give up a rare book for a small price. That was the reason it took me years to find a nice Archie #50 before they got hot. As soon as they started selling for big money, they came out of the wood work and now they are available all of the time.

Here is my #1. The only copy I could find.

wilbur1_zps074983fe.jpg