• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking open a CGC book

14 posts in this topic

Quick question:

Does anyone know the safe and proper way to crack open a slabbed book?

Also is it good etiquette to contact CGC with the books registration number to let them know that the book is no longer slabbed?

Thanks

This was submitted to me by Hammer about 20 months ago

1) insert a medium sized screwdriver between the slab halves in the middle of the right long edge (only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in...no where near the level of the comic itself) and push it upward as close to the corner as possible.

2) Turn the screwdriver counter-clockwise until the corner pops/cracks (this will leave VISIBLE evidence of tampering).

3) Once the corner is open, the long edge and the top edge will be open as well.

repeat the procedure for the top left corner.

4) Both corners will now be visibly cracked open. Remove the inner housing.

5) Some of the OLDER seals on this inner housing are not welded tightly and all that you need to do is separate the front and back at the top (already open at that point) and shear open with the hands alone. If the "welds"/seals are tight and unyielding:

6) With a sharp knife (not a scissors), very carefully cut across the shield approx. 1/4 inch above the comic, being extra careful NOT to exert pressure on the surface of the comic's top edge by pressing on the holder over that point.

7) Repeat for the right edge, and then the bottom edge and peel the top layer back, removing the comic carefully from the inner holder, not letting the comic make contact on its edges with any of the protruding plastic left behind.

And then I replied this after having acutally cracked the slab

I must admit cracking the outer slab was a LOT easier that I thought, took minimum of skill, no force and Hammer's notes to get the thing to pop open.

Observation #1.... the marks that the case was opened were not that clear at all, not a single splinter of plastic broke off and I get the feeling that if I were to superglue the case back together it would only show a sort of hairline-crack.

Now that I've seen this I'm a lot more weary of buying books that have less than a perfect CGC case. The little scratch on the corner that you thought was from the case getting banged against something could be something completely different...

Observation #2....

The actual label is printed on what feels like everday paper, rather flimsy even. I was surprised as I expected a sort of plasticy-feel to the label

Here's Pic #2

The comic is half out of the inner housing, this was a lot tougher to accomplish than the outer case. I could not get the corner-welds open, instead of going all berserk over it I used a very sharp razor and cut the inner housing. This took some force and a steady hand...Note the dreaded date stamp

Observation #3....

Once the inner case was opened I was greeted with that distinct smell of an old comic Not the bad musty smell, but a smell that took me back to my childhood, I'm guessing the wood-grainy-pulpy smell (ok ok , YOU try to describe a smell...) built up over the years of entombment and was now set free

Observation #4....

There are two sheets of the special secret-secret-hush-hush microfiber paper that CGC inserts in the book. I though they only used one, but there is one between both the first page and the cover and the last page and the cover....

Thanks chromium,

Did you contact CGC to inform them of the deslabbing?

Actually no, I've liberated about 40-50 slabs over the past few years, and sending mail from Belgium to the US isn't cheap...I'm already hurting from all the postage I'm paying from getting books INTO Belgium... confused-smiley-013.gif

Just send an electronic mail smirk.gif and burn the slabs yay.gif

I think they want you to send the labels to them as proof...

Oh and I keep & re-use the slabs.

Crack slab - read book - put book in mylar - put mylar in (now easy to open ) slab...

Just read this from the CGC faq section...

Q.What if I want to take my comic out of your holder?

A.We anticipated that many collectors would do just that, even though the certified grade will then no longer be applicable, without re-certification. That's why our holder is designed to allow optimal observation of the comic book inside. Also, we have designed our holder so that it can be opened carefully, allowing safe removal. Due to the fragile nature of comic books, once our holder is opened, we then recommend the immediate re-certification of the comic book. When Re-Certifying the comic book, this inner label should be returned to CGC for a $5 re-certification credit ($10 off WalkThru Service). After opening, the CGC holder cannot be resealed, but it can provide a degree of protection for your book, although at a reduced level from the original sealed holder. Collectors should remember that the process of certification is designed primarily as a tool for buying and selling that establishes standards in grading consistency for the hobby. Over the years, we believe more collectors will be content to leave a comic in its holder for its protection, and to enhance its liquidity if they decide to sell. Leaving the book in its original CGC holder would prevent the need for re-certification and retain the protective strengths of the holder.

Seems that they want you to send in the label just for re-certification purposes.

They want the old label sent in so they can remove the book from the census, no other reason. The graders don't know if it's a re-cert or not.

I also find this funny: "We anticipated that many collectors would do just that, even though the certified grade will then no longer be applicable, without re-certification."

Fact: They don't "guarantee" their grades.

So if I take a book out of the slab I'm nullifying the grade that was never guaranteed in the first place? 27_laughing.gif Ok, whatever.

"We anticipated that many collectors would do just that, even though the certified grade will then no longer be applicable, without re-certification."

I suspect they would even encourage it, there's nothing like repeat business. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif