• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megacon

38 posts in this topic

I picked up a Dardevil #1 from Greg Reece. I thought I received a fair deal on the book. Daredevil might not be a big key but I was happy to get the book at the price I paid. Of course you were there when I purchased the book so you already know this. What big keys are you talking about? AF 15, Hulk 1, GSXM 1, Hulk 181, etc.?

X-men 141 and 142 are shooting through the roof. Did anyone buy or sell one of these at Megacon?

Yes, there were a couple vendors, including Greg Reece who had good prices. And Bargains were possible...but I've never had to shop so hard for them. It was a good time. I'm talking all books across the board, but my thoughts are colored by AF15, Hulk 1, FF1, GSXM 1 and Hulk 181 especially since I was looking for those.

Overall, I thought there were over inflated prices, and under value prices, but you had to look.

I decided to upgrade my old Master of Kung Fu books, and was shopping for some deals. I don't consider this book to be high $, as Shang Chi just isn't that popular with many...but many mid grade books were going for $20 and more. I ran into a booth that had most of what I wanted, all for $2 each!

I thought about buying a mid grade DD1 also, but didn't find my price point, although I did scoop up cards for negotiating at a later date.

Overall, I had a blast, but look forward to better organization the future. Anyone know why the show moved across the street?

I attended on Saturday only. It was incredibly jam packed. CBR reported that the organizer's reported an estimated 70,000 in attendance. That's up 10,000 from last year's estimation. The show has grown so much. I have been going regularly since 1998. I also setup as a dealer for 2 years, and helped a friend in the artist alley for 1.

They moved this year to the South Hall/Wing because it is suppose to be bigger and have more parking, etc. This year I ended up just marking in the West parking lot and walking across to South, it was about a 15 minute walk.

I had a really good time though. I met Pike's Comics, and got to check out his booth. Most of the regular convention dealers were there. I think gator had one of the most impressive walls out there, but that goes without saying. I can't really comment too much on the comic pricing, as that wasn't my focus this convention. I picked some really good vintage action figures that I'll try to share some images of. I got an amazing Mumm-Ra on a beautiful card and bubble, very high grade. One of the last Thundercats I needed to complete my set.

I do agree with everyone though, that the convention organizers really need to step back and change some of what they're doing. This year, they had those 2 large halls, but one was mainly empty (the one where you buy the tickets, pick up advance tickets, and some misc. exhibits and the blood drive.) In the past, they would have all the vendors in 1 hall, and then all the artist alley, celebrity autographs, and misc. things in the other hall. I felt that system worked out very well. This year the concessions, vendors, artist alley, and autograph areas were all in the same hall, and it was just unmanageable.

Also, the way they managed the panels was crazy. I went to the Torchwood panel, and wanted to go to the Walking Dead panel. Torchwood was first, and Walking Dead was next. You were not allowed to just stay, they made everyone exit, and come back in, through the same doors... So all these people who attended Torchwood are trying to exit through the same doors, that all these people who are trying to attend the Walking Dead panel are trying to enter, all the while a ton of the people exiting just want to turn around and come back in. It just didn't make any sense.

One of my best friends, who is a 16 year veteran of law enforcement said to me that he hoped there wasn't any thefts because of the sheer amount of people on Saturday, it was a thieves paradise.

Overall though, I had a good time.

Why haven't these comic convention promoters and organizers started promoting and organizing costume party conventions? It seems that they could fill the house without the burden of having all those comic book vendors in the way.

Why haven't these comic convention promoters and organizers started promoting and organizing costume party conventions? It seems that they could fill the house without the burden of having all those comic book vendors in the way.

They have. Its called Dragoncon!

They have. Its called Dragoncon!

+infinity