• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another reason why slabbing is off my to-do list

21 posts in this topic

I had to take a double take on this one.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2014mar%26session%3D2%26pg%3D2%23Item%5F1004387&id=1004387

Yea, structurally is well preserved, but it's been desecrated beyond normal wear and tear. 7.0? LMAO

But clearly 7 people wouldn't mind adding this mess into their collection doh!

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2014mar%26session%3D2%26pg%3D2%23Item%5F1004387&id=1004387

Yea, structurally is well preserved, but it's been desecrated beyond normal wear and tear. 7.0? LMAO

I'm not one of the 7 bidders, but I did glance at that book and didn't notice the desecration until you pointed it out. If someone doesn't look carefully, it would be easy to think it's part of the artwork. (Back in my day a book with that much writing on it would have been a VG.)

13365197804_9bd41afdff.jpg13364968873_e824229dc6.jpg

I didn't see it either. I am happy that the page quality seems more important than the scribble but I think this should work against the book and lower the rating more than a signature or two.

Scan used for comparison was from the GCD.

I'm not one of the 7 bidders, but I did glance at that book and didn't notice the desecration until you pointed it out. If someone doesn't look carefully, it would be easy to think it's part of the artwork. (Back in my day a book with that much writing on it would have been a VG.)

I don't think CGC missed it, as otherwise it looks like it would grade much higher, at the very least it should be qualified. That much doodling in the logo, and even 4.0 is high for me.

I have NEVER liked cgc!!!!!!!!!! I have NEVER submitted any of my books to cgc and NEVER will!!! I have about 10 high grade slabbed books that I bought already slabbed and even though I loathe cgc I don't take them out of their plastic coffin because everyone knows if you take out a high grade book, it is worth like a million times less because we all know that plastic slab in the comic world is equal to solid gold. I am going to start slabbing my comics in diamond cases and see how much they would be worth.

Also I would love to see an ALL SLAB CONVENTION. You go up to the dealer's table and on his wall, he doesn't have any comics! Just empty slabs!!!!!! And they would be in various conditions and various prices. That would be a great freakin convention!!!!!!!!

I believe that's the same book that was graded 8.5 and sold for around $1500 about 2 years ago on Clink

Whoa! You gotta admire anyone who would crack that one out of an 8.5 slab hoping for a bump. :o

I believe that's the same book that was graded 8.5 and sold for around $1500 about 2 years ago on Clink

Whoa! You gotta admire anyone who would crack that one out of an 8.5 slab hoping for a bump. :o

Yeah, I would have taken an 8.5 and run with it.

I have NEVER liked cgc!!!!!!!!!! I have NEVER submitted any of my books to cgc and NEVER will!!! I have about 10 high grade slabbed books that I bought already slabbed and even though I loathe cgc I don't take them out of their plastic coffin because everyone knows if you take out a high grade book, it is worth like a million times less because we all know that plastic slab in the comic world is equal to solid gold. I am going to start slabbing my comics in diamond cases and see how much they would be worth.

Also I would love to see an ALL SLAB CONVENTION. You go up to the dealer's table and on his wall, he doesn't have any comics! Just empty slabs!!!!!! And they would be in various conditions and various prices. That would be a great freakin convention!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow's Treasures, is that you ?

Given the amount of undisclosed restoration on GA books available from nearly every vendor, 'loathing' seems to be a bit extreme. CGC is very good at detecting resto, even if they do miss things occasionally.

I'm with Jimbo707, it is beyond me how writing is ignored as a defect by CGC. Of course there are lots of pedigrees that have names written and that is part of their identity, but drawing mustaches or doodling like this should knock the book way down to very good territory.

With the exception of pedigrees like the Church collection, Larson collection, Rockford, etc. writing is as undesirable as a stain of some sort. I'm not even a fan of arrival markings, again with the exception of a certain pedigree from Colorado, in which case, I actually prefer it, oddly enough.

I know it's a contradiction but there it is. :insane:

lol:roflmao:

Gives me a chance to show my copy. I like mine over the scribbled one albeit a lower grade.

1311120854391.jpg

Sweet looking 6.0. I doubt there is a person on the boards who wouldn't rather have your copy.

Given the amount of undisclosed restoration on GA books available from nearly every vendor, 'loathing' seems to be a bit extreme. CGC is very good at detecting resto, even if they do miss things occasionally.

For this reason, some one should come up a service that evaluates slabbed books and puts a sticker to notate if apparent grade was exceptional or less desirable... :insane:

So if a dealer mis-grades a book do you stop dealing with them forever more as well?