• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Newsies!

40 posts in this topic

Yes, they were certainly diminishing, but almost every 7-11 carried comics for most of the 80s, or at least into the latter part of them.

An interesting test would be Spidey annual 21, the first book I'm aware of that had two distinct covers.

The newsstand version had Spidey marrying MJ while the direct version had Peter Parker. CGC doesn't break down the two versions, but an eBay search shows about a 55-45 split in favor of the DM version just now.

That's from the summer of 1986, I believe.

Yep. See that. These random checks for availability are generally statistically consistent in their results. :)

There were also some hold out concussions that carried newsstand comics late until the decade. They liked being able to return the unsold copies. These were mostly in places with no competition as the direct market books were released three weeks before the newsstands.

I don't think Copper age books will see much of a price difference, with the exception of a few Indys that had extremely limited newstand distribution. When you get into the mid to late 90s, newstand books become much rarer.

Like this one? :grin:

3jj2.jpg

That's modern, imho.

I don't think Copper age books will see much of a price difference, with the exception of a few Indys that had extremely limited newstand distribution. When you get into the mid to late 90s, newstand books become much rarer.

Like this one? :grin:

3jj2.jpg

That's modern, imho.

Like I said before, the big difference with the Marvel newsstands vs DC newsstands was that some of the better selling titles had higher cover prices.

146834.jpg.200f6fd6db0ea058ca3f0db542dfb90e.jpg

146835.jpg.b8bbc6ae7eb83e52141db3483ae5bdb0.jpg

Are the Newsstand versions with the UPC code worth more tham the Direct editions? I know that Chuckles seems to think so.

I have finally started the project of consolidating my various groupings and noticed/remembered that the masive collection of 10K plus books that i bought 20+ years ago are almost all Newsstand versions. The guy I bought them from told me that his family owned a news stand and sent him one of every Marvel/DC for many years.

I am in the very beginning stages of the consolidation. i had planned on keeping only the better/best copy but for most of them I have both versions, so i am keeping one of each bagged together.

Some books are because of supply. 2 off the top of my head are ASM 25 V2 and ASM 36 V2. Both difficult to find an newsstand and ASM 25 might have two versions. I have never seen a foil newsstand so I am not sure if it exists.

Also they are modern. The only upside for Copper is higher grade is harder to find just due to lack of condition and where they were sold.