• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool, Iconic, and...Affordable

66 posts in this topic

Thanks, very happy to have it in my collection!

Thanks to a gracious boardie I have the following, and final, issue of the series (#4).

What is remarkable about the cover of #3 is how way ahead of its time in its atmospheres it is: if you read the 1990s series "Dark Dominion" by Jim Shooter it is pretty much about the same dominant theme. :)

hihBJ2oh.jpg

Thanks to a gracious boardie I have the following, and final, issue of the series (#4).

What is remarkable about the cover of #3 is how way ahead of its time in its atmospheres it is: if you read the 1990s series "Dark Dominion" by Jim Shooter it is pretty much about the same dominant theme. :)

hihBJ2oh.jpg

8514839327_95c6f64063_b.jpg

With a splash by Kubert...

hihBJ2oh.jpg

As long as we're on the subject of The Challenger...

146732.jpg.0eedced2bea6566a807cbd33e45bfac2.jpg

Ah… finally a #1. :)

To be honest, I never liked exaggeratedely the cover art to #1. Interiors are very interesting in each one of them, anyway. If I am not mistaken, the Kubert short stories are in each one, and they represent his very first work in comics.

It’s pretty scarce, but I guess the scarcity comes also from the fact they are just four issues and they have not been/are not so hugely collected and/or sought after.

It is also an interesting publication because it represents one of the earliest post-war publishing attempts from a protestant publisher in comics (in a country where catholicism is minoritary it‘s curious that catholic publishers were bigger, and with lasting titles like Treasure Chest or Topix).

It is also interesting because of the centering on the racist themes, right after the end of the war, where there were also a lot of other pressing problems (at least in Europe).

It’s pretty scarce, but I guess the scarcity comes also from the fact they are just four issues and they have not been/are not so hugely collected and/or sought after.

It is also an interesting publication because it represents one of the earliest post-war publishing attempts from a protestant publisher in comics (in a country where catholicism is minoritary it‘s curious that catholic publishers were bigger, and with lasting titles like Treasure Chest or Topix).

It is also interesting because of the centering on the racist themes, right after the end of the war, where there were also a lot of other pressing problems (at least in Europe).

Thanks for the great response!

-Keston

I picked this up yesterday for two bucks ,i think its pretty cool :)

<a  href=http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/comicjack/102_5223_zps5a44c883.jpg' alt='102_5223_zps5a44c883.jpg'>

I love this cover, and the Face is a great character… :)

BTW, would someone be able to tell me whether this can be a pedigree copy?

I seem to recall that "D" pencil mark from somewhere else…

XmXSDw2h.jpg

I have never seen that one before.

Me, either. Great book!

Me,either, and I want a copy. Very cool cover.

hihBJ2oh.jpg

Starting to think I should have charged you more...... :devil: