• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Thor really as good as it seems?

14 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying that I have not purchased and read a modern book in many years (with the exception of the FF .10 center which sucked) since they looked so far distant from comics as I remembered them.

Well today I was flipping through Thor #58 and noticed that this book looks like it has story line and art that is reminiscant of what a comic book should be.

My question is this. Is Thor as great a book as it looks? I will be purchasing this issue (the one I had flipped through was pretty worn) in the near future and wanted to get some opinions on whether this is a worthwhile series to begin with?

. It's about Thor - but Thor isn't really in it

That really turns me off...when I buy a superhero comic, I want to see the superhero.

What I liked about #58 was that not only did it have Thor but Iron Man and Loki were present also...Thats what I like. grin.gif

I started reading from about issue 45 or so. It's pretty good. Kinda political, though. I have no idea prior to 45. But I think they were all by Jurgens, so I'm sure they're decent.

I'm not sure why they chose to set it in the future. - it's like issue 57 - the "story" by Valstaag to his neices and nephews about all the people he fought and stuff - just a vehicle for guest spots. 59 just seemed like a way to give Jurgens a break for a couple weeks and get a guest spot for a somewhat visable, good writer that doesn't interfere with the current storyline.

I am still somewhat of a Marvel zombie and pick this title up fairly regularly out of habit. The art has been great since they rebooted the issue and several story arcs were like the Lee/Kirby/ Buscema days - 1 to about 30 for instance with Destroyer and the Dark Gods. The recent story line is very political and religous and has turned me off. Odin dies , Thor is king and decides to bring Asgard to earth to show humans a more righteous form of existence. Thor is at odds with all the other super heroes and I think the US tried to nuke Asgard. Oh yeah - Asgard is just above NYC! They have made Thor too powerful and he is really out of character - mean spirited. The whole reason you ever had Don Blake was to teach him humility - and over about 200 issues Thor the god became a kind of human. I just think they are trying to change things up - but it has gone too far out of character and they have made him too powerful. What I do like about Thor is the version in Ultimates. If they revamp him again I would vote for a hellraiser, hippie looking, motorcycle guy rather than the princely dudley do-right - the Thor of mythology was heroic but no prince valiant!