• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What cover is this Spiderman artwork from????????????

50 posts in this topic

The worst foreign cover is the Heritage edition of Hulk 181 - it looks like the Hulk is fighting with a big, fat blonde-haired guy.

I'm still not a fan of little person punisher from the ASM129 reprint.

Which book are you referring to?

This in fact may be one of the weirdest covers to exist that features a copied and altered piece of Neal Adams artwork

Fixed.

Fixed for real. Only the most brain-dead drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person would call that a Neal Adams cover.

Neal Adams did draw the reaper and CGC already confirmed he would be credited with his artwork

I find it hard to believe CGC would credit that to Adams, it's obviously not his work. Someone took the Adams image & redrew it, all the detail in the robe is different. I'm sure the Spider-man art is redrawn also by some unknown artist, although it does have a Vosburg/Leialoha Marvel Team Up kind of look to it.

This in fact may be one of the weirdest covers to exist that features a copied and altered piece of Neal Adams artwork

Fixed.

Fixed for real. Only the most brain-dead drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person would call that a Neal Adams cover.

Neal Adams did draw the reaper and CGC already confirmed he would be credited with his artwork

I find it hard to believe CGC would credit that to Adams, it's obviously not his work. Someone took the Adams image & redrew it, all the detail in the robe is different. I'm sure the Spider-man art is redrawn also by some unknown artist, although it does have a Vosburg/Leialoha Marvel Team Up kind of look to it.

They told me they would. Who else would they credit for the grim reaper artwork???

Neal Adams is credited on my Brazilian and French Batman 227s and both were edited/altered Adams artwork....

I hear what you are saying thats why im doing research to determine the spiderman artwork

If I can prove who did it with references they will review it for consideration

The Grim Reaper artwork is irrefutable

The worst foreign cover is the Heritage edition of Hulk 181 - it looks like the Hulk is fighting with a big, fat blonde-haired guy.

Come on, Midget Punisher is a true classic. lol

145992.jpg.44d40f8413094470730444ce01352894.jpg

wow you have maybe the least amount of spine stress i ever seen

it is a difficult book to get in VF condition

I think maybe its Frank Castle's English cousin Nigel Castle...

shorter, bad teeth, loves to shag the ladies.....

It probably the work of a local artist hired by the publisher

The reaper has clearly been redrawn from the Adams art, or at least traced and reinked, and inking on the reaper and Spidey look to be by the same hand, so this is the most likely possibility. There is also a very good chance that Spidey's pose was swiped as well, but not necessarily from an image of Spider-man.

wow you have maybe the least amount of spine stress i ever seen

I have a few of them, including one very nice one I put away that is probably VF/NM or maybe a bit better. I used to buy these in runs in my early eBay days, before they got any interest at all - same with Heritage copies.

It probably the work of a local artist hired by the publisher

The reaper has clearly been redrawn from the Adams art, or at least traced and reinked, and inking on the reaper and Spidey look to be by the same hand, so this is the most likely possibility. There is also a very good chance that Spidey's pose was swiped as well, but not necessarily from an image of Spider-man.

i agree i think the spidey pose was swiped from an original American comic.

It was definitively re-inked in the editing process

I guess the editor thought the Reaper was a cool villain for Spiderman and maybe they got confused on the licensing separation of DC and Marvel

OR

they didnt care and there was no quality control in foreign countries. DC and Marvel was getting paid here in the United States so they didnt care what other publishers did with the stories, artwork etc...

Neal Adams did not know the October 1971 Brazilian Batman #227 even existed until I showed to him on November 3, 2012 at Long Beach Comic Con

2012-11-03_15-25-20_514_zps6d0fdd95.jpg

This is Neal pointing and laughing at the edited artwork where they added Robin in place of the running girl. He said he wished he had knew this back then so he could have sued them....

2012-11-03_15-24-31_12_zps5bedea34.jpg