• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What New 52 books down the road will be worth good money

29 posts in this topic

Suicide Squad #1 is worth a pretty penny.

Batman Annual #1 1st mister freeze

Are N52 books significant in the long run?

Or after the inevitable retcon, they will be reduced to the same stature as COIE, Zero Hour, Superman Birthright, Man of Steel? All retcon and origin issues that are irrelevant in the present DCU.

Or after the inevitable retcon, they will be reduced to the same stature as COIE, Zero Hour, Superman Birthright, Man of Steel? All retcon and origin issues that are irrelevant in the present DCU.

Perhaps it isn't quite inevitable.

Perhaps it isn't quite inevitable.

Point.

While I do enjoy some stories in the N52 books (particularly Batman), I just feel that I am reading a glorified Elseworld story that's been running for three years now.

Are there any new characters that will have significant long term impact within the continuity of the DCU?

Harper Row is a possibility

The low print run / damaged print run books (like Nightwing #4) are not keys. In 10 years, there will be no reason to even own those books. Someone who collects everything will want it but those are the people driving up the price now, once they get their copies, what else will hold the value of these books up?

For those chasing '1st appearance in the New 52,' that can't be a good long term play. I do see that 1st Silver Age is a big deal for Silver collectors but they don't mention on slabs when someone has their 1st Bronze, Copper, Modern so why would New 52 (a marketing ploy and not an actual Age) matter?

Creative team changes shouldn't matter either since DC has flipped the writers/artists on all of their titles (w/ a few exceptions like Batman) so many times that it is laughable. They have even solicited books to retailers and then changed creative teams in the 60 days leading up to the issues release. Has a creative team taken over a book and done something extraordinary with the title? I don't mean taken an unreadable title to 'meets expectations for my $3 a month' levels.

For those chasing '1st appearance in the New 52,' that can't be a good long term play. I do see that 1st Silver Age is a big deal for Silver collectors but they don't mention on slabs when someone has their 1st Bronze, Copper, Modern so why would New 52 (a marketing ploy and not an actual Age) matter?

Likely not. But it depends on how long DC sticks with the New 52. The consensus seems to be that sooner or later it will be wiped, but what if DC maintains it for two or three decades? That would add a legitimacy to the New 52 number ones and first appearance issues that wouldn't fairly compare to first appearance of already existing characters in the bronze, copper, or modern ages.

Are there any new characters that will have significant long term impact within the continuity of the DCU?

The low print run / damaged print run books (like Nightwing #4) are not keys. In 10 years, there will be no reason to even own those books. Someone who collects everything will want it but those are the people driving up the price now, once they get their copies, what else will hold the value of these books up?

Creative team changes shouldn't matter either since DC has flipped the writers/artists on all of their titles (w/ a few exceptions like Batman) so many times that it is laughable. They have even solicited books to retailers and then changed creative teams in the 60 days leading up to the issues release. Has a creative team taken over a book and done something extraordinary with the title? I don't mean taken an unreadable title to 'meets expectations for my $3 a month' levels.

I disagree with a couple of your points.

The lower supply of some of the #4s in NM due to production/shelf damage will keep the prices high. They also appear to be less plentiful overall than the books around them. FWIW, when I was cleaning out store back stock on Batman and Nightwing around issue 9 or 10 I found three to four times as many #2s, 3s, 5s and 6s as I did #4 on either book. Collectors will pay a premium as those books are harder to find overall relative to the others. Look at ASM #430 and 431 as an example. Low print run, mediocre story, and still a nice premium.

The market has decided that creative teams do matter if they are top notch (especially artists). Look at O'Neil/Adams work, Byrne/Claremont, Miller, Moore, Lee, McFarlane, etc. The Snyder run on Detective sells for a good premium due to the stories, just like a lot of other high demand Batman arcs like Miller's Year One, Death in the Family, or Hush. We see this in other titles as well. Collectors will pay a premium on the top end New 52 stuff 10 years from now just like they do for other top end runs from the 70s, 80s, 90s due to demand.

Also, there are 1st appearances mentioned on slabs post Silver Age DCs. Batman #234 is one that comes to mind right now as I have had a few over the years. I believe there are others as well, but I can't place them.

I disagree with a couple of your points.

The lower supply of some of the #4s in NM due to production/shelf damage will keep the prices high. They also appear to be less plentiful overall than the books around them. FWIW, when I was cleaning out store back stock on Batman and Nightwing around issue 9 or 10 I found three to four times as many #2s, 3s, 5s and 6s as I did #4 on either book. Collectors will pay a premium as those books are harder to find overall relative to the others. Look at ASM #430 and 431 as an example. Low print run, mediocre story, and still a nice premium.

The market has decided that creative teams do matter if they are top notch (especially artists). Look at O'Neil/Adams work, Byrne/Claremont, Miller, Moore, Lee, McFarlane, etc. The Snyder run on Detective sells for a good premium due to the stories, just like a lot of other high demand Batman arcs like Miller's Year One, Death in the Family, or Hush. We see this in other titles as well. Collectors will pay a premium on the top end New 52 stuff 10 years from now just like they do for other top end runs from the 70s, 80s, 90s due to demand.

Also, there are 1st appearances mentioned on slabs post Silver Age DCs. Batman #234 is one that comes to mind right now as I have had a few over the years. I believe there are others as well, but I can't place them.

So every book that < O'Neil/Adams work, Byrne/Claremont, Miller, Moore, Lee, McFarlane > were apart of were KEYS?? This topic was created with the question "What New 52 books do you consider a key?" I read other's responses and was simply stating that of those books mentioned, none of them were really KEYS.

There are definitely books in the new 52 that will be collected and continue to sell for good money. That does not make them KEYS. Had this topic been about which New 52 books should I be looking to buy at cover and flip over the next 10 years for a good profit, I could list 20+ books that would probably be safe bets. Of those 20+ books, nearly all of them don't qualify as KEY.

There are definitely books in the new 52 that will be collected and continue to sell for good money.

I believe this is what the topic creator was looking for.

haha. okay. that is a much easier topic to discuss then. I just hate the overuse of the term KEY.

For current books that I would grab out of back issue boxes on the cheap >

Setup an eBay search

example > DC New 52 -lot -run -statue -figure -cgc -complete

and only view $15 - $40 range. < helps eliminate more runs and the bigger variants that usually can't be found for cheap

and only Completed / Sold

This is a good place to start with what is currently selling raw for good money.