• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

which superhero movie will rule this summer's WW box office?

54 posts in this topic

didn't cap open in some overseas venues this weekend? where are the reviews from our foreign boardies????

I'm going watching the film on Wednesday. Brubaker's run on Captain America is superb and I'm looking forward to it.

my guesses:

ASM II: $750MM 700 MM WW

Cap $650MM 800 MM WW

X-Men $575MM 650 MM WW (add $50mm if it plays in China)

GOTG: $500MM WW (add $50MM if it plays in China)

GOTG may go higher. But this is an experiment right now to determine the value of Marvel's B and C list of characters.

It is going to be one heck of an amazing superhero year!

my guesses:

ASM II: $750MM WW

Cap $650MM WW

X-Men $575MM WW (add $50mm if it plays in China)

GOTG will be the surprise hit. (thumbs u

Captain America will be the best movie to watch. :cloud9:

X-MEN will have mediocre box office results, but will be a good picture. hm

ASM II will not only disappoint fans as a mediocre picture, but the bigger news will be it does underwhelming numbers at the box office like Superman Returns did . :o

my guesses:

Cap $650MM WW

ASM II will not only disappoint fans as a mediocre picture, but the bigger news will be it does underwhelming numbers at the box office like Superman Returns did . :o

I agree with all except I think ASM will do well at the box office. We will see.

my guesses:

Cap $650MM WW

I hope all this turns out true. Especially X-MEN and ASM-2, these franchises should be with MARVEL proper. :sumo:

my guesses:

Cap $650MM WW

I agree with all except I think ASM will do well at the box office. We will see.

I think Spidey is starting to age as a character. It happens to all characters.

Of the four pictures Paperheart mentioned I find ASM 2 the least talked about.

It seems like the buzz for it is just manufactured hype.

It will do good opening weekend and the next, then I expect Godzilla to clobber it.

my guesses:

Cap $650MM WW

It will do good opening weekend and the next, then I expect Godzilla to clobber it.

And unlike the hype for ASM-2 I think the hype for GODZILLA is real as all my friends talk about it whereas they don't even say word for ASM.

Because of the dubbing that can be done with Spidey's mask and other CG characters and huge overseas popularity of the franchise up to date, I would dare predict pretty close to a $1 billion for ASM 2, myself. There was a lot of momemtum after the last one. Remember, it doesn't matter if it sucks here, it's how it plays abroad.

Guardians of the Galaxy, same deal, but it's just establishing itself. I'll say $500 million too. The sequel will explode, if the original engages the audience.

X-men will make an easy $750 million or more. It's quality won't matter.

Now, Captain America. Let's be honest. It's gonna probably play huge here, but not Iron Man 3 huge. So, there's $250+ million, but overseas, ummmm... a superhero in spangles without the Avengers, might be deemed too United States. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess, $500 million abroad.

my guesses:

Cap $650MM WW

And unlike the hype for ASM-2 I think the hype for GODZILLA is real as all my friends talk about it whereas they don't even say word for ASM.

I know I'll be seeing Godzilla that weekend.

However, I think the challenge Godzilla faces is the same that Peter Jackson's King Kong faced: general audiences won't place a high priority on seeing it in theaters because they feel like they've seen this movie already. Twice.

I certainly hope that's not the case. It looks really good I'm excited to go see it.

I've seen the trailers for all the comic movies and while I know we'll see some of them I can't say I'm particularly eager to see any of them.

The reaction to the Cap and GotG trailers puzzle me the most. I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about.

my guesses:

Cap $650MM WW

I know I'll be seeing Godzilla that weekend.

However, I think the challenge Godzilla faces is the same that Peter Jackson's King Kong faced: general audiences won't place a high priority on seeing it in theaters because they feel like they've seen this movie already. Twice.

I certainly hope that's not the case. It looks really good I'm excited to go see it.

I've seen the trailers for all the comic movies and while I know we'll see some of them I can't say I'm particularly eager to see any of them.

The reaction to the Cap and GotG trailers puzzle me the most. I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about.

i'll watch 2 films at the cinema this year, Godzilla and Sin City

not much else i really care to watch at the cinema

my guesses:

Cap $650MM WW

Except for GOTG, these franchises now have such a built in audience it almost doesn't matter who writes, directs or acts in them. I'm not a good barometer of interest as if I watch any of them it will be on blu-ray, but these rankings ( if not the numbers) look fairly credible to me. Spidey is still the most popular hero in the bunch, and despite the return of Singer and Penn along with an all-star cast, I wonder if the X-Men franchise might not be losing gas.

The most interesting directing choice is the Russo brothers for Cap, as their background is entirely in comedy. The Brubaker WS story line is one of the few modern Marvel story arcs I've read, and I am curious to see if it's done justice.