• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

No matter what you say about CGC they are selling confidence in the condition of a book vs the wild wild west days when you didn't know what you were getting. Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition. This is what you are paying for, not perfection of results. That is impossible.

Nope.

Show me the raw book that sells for more than the CGC equivalent. (thumbs u

Here is what I bolded and was referring to: Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition.

Nothing was said about price. I said Nope because I personally would rather have the raw book.

So people would pay more for something they want less? And the word 'people' means you? And 'a slabbed book' means Hulk 181?

Edited by kav

No matter what you say about CGC they are selling confidence in the condition of a book vs the wild wild west days when you didn't know what you were getting. Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition. This is what you are paying for, not perfection of results. That is impossible.

Nope.

Here is what I bolded and was referring to: Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition.

Nothing was said about price. I said Nope because I personally would rather have the raw book.

So people would pay more for something they want less? And the word 'people' means you?

Are you seriously not understanding what I am saying?

Nope.

So people would pay more for something they want less? And the word 'people' means you?

Well if you can not understand what I am saying it's only fair....

I am saying slabbed books are more desired and the price differential with raw books reflects this. I don't think that's open for debate.

Nope.

Here is what I bolded and was referring to: "Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition."

Of course, this is why some people crack books out of the slabs to put in their collection. (thumbs u Also there are of course those people whose dislike for slabs means they won't ever buy a slab.

Nope.

Well if you can not understand what I am saying it's only fair....

I am saying slabbed books are more desired and the price differential with raw books reflects this. I don't think that's open for debate.

In general, yes CGC books are more desired. That's not what you said before. You said EVERYONE would prefer to own CGC books over raw in the same condition. I am saying I would rather own the raw equivalent.

If I say people like ice cream more than getting punched in the face and you say "I don't', does that make my statement wrong?

If I say people like ice cream more than getting punched in the face and you say "I don't', does that make my statement wrong?

No, if you said everyone likes ice cream more than getting punched in the face and I said "I don't" that would make your statement wrong.

Nope.

So people would pay more for something they want less? And the word 'people' means you? And 'a slabbed book' means Hulk 181?

Do you understand the meaning of the word "EVERYONE?"

There are plenty of people who would rather have a raw than a slabbed book in the same grade, even for the same price. Plenty of people deslab their books because they prefer them raw. The fact slabbed books generally sell for more on EBAY means that SOME (maybe most) prefer slabbed books when BUYING. But that fact that YOU think you can speak for EVERYONE when I would want YOU representing MY PREFERENCES less than anyone else on the boards honestly disgusts me.

You think you're largely accepted now because people don't rag you as much as when you've first started, or that you've curbed your behavior to acceptable levels. But I think that most people just pity you for how sad your life probably is, and embarrassed for how you conduct yourself, or just have you on ignore.

Please learn some context or self awareness, or don't. But please don't think you can speak for 'everyone' in any context, comic or otherwise.

I guess change 'everyone' in my statement to 'collectors' on the whole' or something...

Would you say that CGC is 99.99% accurate? Do they miss 1 restored book out of every 1,000? I am not talking about the grade but the color of the label.

It'd be hard to tell as many books that get a blue label, stay in that holder for the foreseeable future and therefore any missed resto probably stays undetected. Considering how many books you must sub and resub on behalf of people, I'd hazard a guess that you'd have as much insight into CGC's accuracy as anyone who isn't employed by them?

I thought it went without saying that quite often when people use the word 'everyone' it doesn't really mean 'everyone'. Like 'everyone is so excited to watch the Rams play today'. It's a figure of speech and nothing to lose sleep over...

Nope.

Do you understand the meaning of the word "EVERYONE?"

There are plenty of people who would rather have a raw than a slabbed book in the same grade, even for the same price. Plenty of people deslab their books because they prefer them raw. The fact slabbed books generally sell for more on EBAY means that SOME (maybe most) prefer slabbed books when BUYING. But that fact that YOU think you can speak for EVERYONE when I would want YOU representing MY PREFERENCES less than anyone else on the boards honestly disgusts me.

You think you're largely accepted now because people don't rag you as much as when you've first started, or that you've curbed your behavior to acceptable levels. But I think that most people just pity you for how sad your life probably is, and embarrassed for how you conduct yourself, or just have you on ignore.

Please learn some context or self awareness, or don't. But please don't think you can speak for 'everyone' in any context, comic or otherwise.

Someone offers you the choice of a CGC 9.8 modern and a raw modern, and I am betting EVERYONE takes the CGC 9.8 regardless of what they "prefer." He could sell the 9.8, pick up a raw and have a little stack for future purchases.

I realize that Kav is annoying, but some parts of some of his posts have merit.

I thought it went without saying that quite often when people use the word 'everyone' it doesn't really mean 'everyone'. Like 'everyone is so excited to watch the Rams play today'. It's a figure of speech and nothing to lose sleep over...

I wasn't losing sleep over it, that's why I posted a simple "nope". Do you think even a majority of comic collectors collect slabbed books?

Would you say that CGC is 99.99% accurate? Do they miss 1 restored book out of every 1,000? I am not talking about the grade but the color of the label.

Well, based on the highly scientific sampling study known as "Spider Dan's Book"...I'd say they're 50% accurate.

And on that, I'll be starting Bleuhawaii's Coin-Flip Resto Check...

:makepoint:

I wasn't losing sleep over it, that's why I posted a simple "nope". Do you think even a majority of comic collectors collect slabbed books?

Well then after the simple 'nope' you went on a wild foaming at the mouth tirade...that's why i worried you would lose sleep over it....