• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

That depends on what you consider confidence.  I'm confident enough in their product that I will buy a blue label from a stranger. I don't use their services but that has more to do with lag time than anything else.  Someone I consign with recommended I send in several slabs for reholdering and 25% of them had to be sent back  so my confidence in their quality control is not very high.  Long TATs and a 25% reholder rate have not inspired much confidence. 

Much of their marketing seems geared to collectors as interested in the labels as the books. 

I'm happy with their grading in general, though lately they seem looser than the guys in Dallas.

But based on my experiences last year, my confidence in their ability to consistently find restoration is at an all time low. I've griped about this before but purple books that I resubbed came back with different restoration. One was trimmed on the top and came back trimmed on the bottom. One had minor color touch and came back with 3 edges trimmed. One had color touch and came back BLUE. etc etc.