• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Ha ha everyone thinks their posts are golden and anything anyone posts they don't like is nonsense garbage....I love this place.

While there are some self righteous aholes around, there are some really, really awesome people here too.

It's just like real life. Not everyone is going to get along, not everyone has the same tolerance level and not everyone has something valid to contribute.

There are a lot of anthropological aspects to consider, but I am not going to go into detail, because quite frankly, I could care less.

Best just to have the reasoning that things happen, could happen, do happen and should happen.

I am :popcorn:

Oh yeah.

Why would he???? Everyone always wants to know everything about me....

Moving on...

Yeah, I have nothing to contribute to this thread. Even my opinions are opinionated.

Don't worry I still have lots to contribute.

No. Really you dont. Its all been used up in the 100+ posts in this thread

Yes. Really I do. 100+ posts is NOTHING.

Yes, yes they were.

:baiting:

No, no they weren't.

I can do this all day.

captainamerica11.jpg

You're a good sport, Kav.

Now pipe down.

Ha ha everyone thinks their posts are golden and anything anyone posts they don't like is nonsense garbage....I love this place.

(tsk)

My posts are definitely not golden. lol

Oh yeah.

Moving on...

Yeah, I have nothing to contribute to this thread. Even my opinions are opinionated.

Don't worry I still have lots to contribute.

No. Really you dont. Its all been used up in the 100+ posts in this thread

Yes. Really I do. 100+ posts is NOTHING.

Yes, yes they were.

:baiting:

No, no they weren't.

I can do this all day.

captainamerica11.jpg

You're a good sport, Kav.

Now pipe down.

Ok. I'm gonna go sit in the corner for a while. See ya in a few pages.

on that perfect post, I'm outta this thread till morning. Gotta be productive.

Trolls keep trolling

Posters keep posting

When are you going to get all huffy again and stomp out of this thread? It's hands down the only stuff you post that's worth reading. :whee:

lol

Only when it includes a graph. (thumbs u

When are you going to get all huffy again and stomp out of this thread? It's hands down the only stuff you post that's worth reading. :whee:

And you are who? What are you jabbering about?

102051.strip.gif

I keep reading that grading is subjective, grading is subjective, grading is subjective, okay, no argument grading is subjective. But in this case, it's one book, with one major flaw. Now, either CGC has a standard for that flaw or they don't. Different graders gave this flaw a different grade. Doesn't sound like a standard. No standards scares me.

Go ahead guys, ignore my comment yet again. I can't even get a response from Kav on this ?!?

RE: Big Macs

Canadian Big Macs and American Big Macs are completely different. Eating a US Big Mac is akin to eating a Mexican Big Mac lol

dont trust the meat! :sick:

Edited by CBT

I keep reading that grading is subjective, grading is subjective, grading is subjective, okay, no argument grading is subjective. But in this case, it's one book, with one major flaw. Now, either CGC has a standard for that flaw or they don't. Different graders gave this flaw a different grade. Doesn't sound like a standard. No standards scares me.

Go ahead guys, ignore my comment yet again. I can't even get a response from Kav on this ?!?

No I'm in the corner for a few pages.

Oh yeah.

Only thing I want to know is what time your mom makes you go to bed !

9 PM weekdays Fri Sat 10:00

I still post only cause I sneak my laptop in bed with me.

(you'll be proud to know I was born in your state)

Oh yeah.

Actually, that makes me very sad. :sorry:

BTW, did we ever figure out if you are a physicist, biology major, retired substitute teacher (the poor kids if this is true), MacDonald's employee (but very senior, in charge of salting the fires), master microscopy expert, or just some DA high school kid playing around cause you get your azz kicked by the 5th graders. hm

Oh yeah.

Actually, that makes me very sad. :sorry:

BTW, did we ever figure out if you are a physicist, biology major, retired substitute teacher (the poor kids if this is true), MacDonald's employee (but very senior, in charge of salting the fires), master microscopy expert, or just some DA high school kid playing around cause you get your azz kicked by the 5th graders. hm

I'm still trying to figure out what I am.

I have already stated I liked CGC's and Paul's response. The book slipped through and they are human. It's okay.

However,

The grade went from 6.0 to 7.0 to 6.0.

The page quality went from OW to OW/W to OW.

And of course Blue to Purple to Blue.

Regarding standards and consistency, the one that bothers me the most is

the grade variance. This book had one specific flaw, a color breaking, vertical, book length crease along the spine. If there are standards, how does this one flaw go from 6.0 to 7.0 to 6.0 ?.

I repeat, If there are standards, how does this one flaw go from 6.0 to 7.0 to 6.0 ?

I see you have brought this up a few times....unfortuanetly no ones seems to want to discuss this. I find this hard to swallow as well....especially on such a high priced comic.

If someone can screw up 6.0 to 7.0 to 6.0,then what makes people think that a 9.6 to 9.8 can`t be screwed up as well?

hm

Because it's not a "screw up."

It's an opinion, of *this* book, at *this* time, on *this* day.

And yes, you're perfectly right: a 9.6 and 9.8 can often be interchangeable.

...No, never mind.

RE: Big Macs

Canadian Big Macs and American Big Macs are completely different. Eating a US Big Mac is akin to eating a Mexican Big Mac lol

dont trust the meat! :sick:

Double Big Mac in Canada is the tastiest (and messiest) sandwich ive even eaten at a McDonald's

that was a long time ago, and as I said to another. Make a thread, and I'll be happy to go back and dig it all up. It involves posts, PMs, a mod, another forum, and a bunch of other people.

It has nothing at all to do with what you posted. Which is of course, more untrue things. I did not say what you just tried to imply with those quotes. I never told anyone to meet me anywhere.

You're lying.

I've told women to meet me but they never do.

Now I hate to act as a Kav historian, but didn't you claim in the Water Cooler that you had turned down model caliber women or some nonsense?

I'll hang up and listen…

Yep. In the old days, I was a chick-mag. Now that I'm a old dude, things are very different.

Why does anyone need to know?

If posts around here were limited to things people needed to know, the whole place would dry up and blow away like a tumbleweed.

I have already stated I liked CGC's and Paul's response. The book slipped through and they are human. It's okay.

However,

The grade went from 6.0 to 7.0 to 6.0.

The page quality went from OW to OW/W to OW.

And of course Blue to Purple to Blue.

Regarding standards and consistency, the one that bothers me the most is

the grade variance. This book had one specific flaw, a color breaking, vertical, book length crease along the spine. If there are standards, how does this one flaw go from 6.0 to 7.0 to 6.0 ?.

I repeat, If there are standards, how does this one flaw go from 6.0 to 7.0 to 6.0 ?

I see you have brought this up a few times....unfortuanetly no ones seems to want to discuss this. I find this hard to swallow as well....especially on such a high priced comic.

If someone can screw up 6.0 to 7.0 to 6.0,then what makes people think that a 9.6 to 9.8 can`t be screwed up as well?

hm

Because it's not a "screw up."

It's an opinion, of *this* book, at *this* time, on *this* day.

And yes, you're perfectly right: a 9.6 and 9.8 can often be interchangeable.

...No, never mind.

Good call. It's unwise.

No matter what you say about CGC they are selling confidence in the condition of a book vs the wild wild west days when you didn't know what you were getting. Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition. This is what you are paying for, not perfection of results. That is impossible.

It depends on the circumstances and the individual. Like others here, I have enough experience in judging a book's grade and in restoration to be comfortable making a judgement on a raw book. If a raw and a slabbed were in the same grade and the similarly priced, I would buy the raw for my collection, allowing me to examine it fully. I would buy the slabbed if I wanted to resell in the holder, as it would save me time and money in getting it graded.

For example, I bought a slabbed 5.5 Mister Mystery some years back. Looked very nice until I cracked it and there were a pair of spline splits...about 3/4" at the top and a "spider-web split" smack in the center of the spine of about an inch, going about 1/2" into the back cover. Had I seen that raw I would not have paid as much as I did.

Don't think these boards represent the general world of comic collecting. This is a fairly rarefied atmosphere. We have developed a baseline that includes CGC. It colors our perception of what the collecting world is really like.

This.

Thanks FT. Not sure what is going on but for a while now 95% of my posts are not replied to. I appreciate it.

No matter what you say about CGC they are selling confidence in the condition of a book vs the wild wild west days when you didn't know what you were getting. Everyone would still prefer a slabbed book to a raw book of the same apparent condition. This is what you are paying for, not perfection of results. That is impossible.

It depends on the circumstances and the individual. Like others here, I have enough experience in judging a book's grade and in restoration to be comfortable making a judgement on a raw book. If a raw and a slabbed were in the same grade and the similarly priced, I would buy the raw for my collection, allowing me to examine it fully. I would buy the slabbed if I wanted to resell in the holder, as it would save me time and money in getting it graded.

For example, I bought a slabbed 5.5 Mister Mystery some years back. Looked very nice until I cracked it and there were a pair of spline splits...about 3/4" at the top and a "spider-web split" smack in the center of the spine of about an inch, going about 1/2" into the back cover. Had I seen that raw I would not have paid as much as I did.

Don't think these boards represent the general world of comic collecting. This is a fairly rarefied atmosphere. We have developed a baseline that includes CGC. It colors our perception of what the collecting world is really like.

This.

Thanks FT. Not sure what is going on but for a while now 95% of my posts are not replied to. I appreciate it.

Double this.