• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Maybe one of you can recap the names.

Seems strange for someone to ask for names, then turtle when asked to provide their own - worse of which, to come on and tear a new one into "dealers who can't grade" like some motivation of fear that should compel all collectors to run in droves to have their books graded by CGC.

I like to see you squirm because you do it so deliciously. I want you and Nick to name names because you are giving unsupported arguments as fact. Typical internet barristers with no legs to stand on.

Here, I'll make it easy on you. It was a different subject but close enough. Care to support your claims as much?

Link

So, you've been disputing our claims based on data you collated...using CGC as the 'test'?

Can you not see that it's impossible to dispute what I've said (that CGC is inherently inconsistent) by judging dealers' consistency against CGC and against each other?

Most large volume dealers (and I would now say board members who frequent many shows) both know each other and know CGC employees personally. It's a small world.

That still doesn't change the fact that the majority of books are impartially graded.

What is your point?

My point is the mods and company men in the thread(on their real accounts) trying to attack the seller and the buyer, when CGC is at fault.

If PGX or any other company had this happen to them, people would be paying to host sites, and linking to it. Again I am not defending PGX or advocating, just talking about the hypocrisy that the attack dogs spew when they are fighting to protect their lunch.

Transparency and Accountability is what CGC needs to increase in spades.

A competent competitor would be the best. There were rumors that one was being formed and questions about it generate enough vague answers that I hold out hope it will happen. I would be willing to use them.

Most large volume dealers (and I would now say board members who frequent many shows) both know each other and know CGC employees personally. It's a small world.

That still doesn't change the fact that the majority of books are impartially graded.

What is your point?

My point is the mods and company men in the thread(on their real accounts) trying to attack the seller and the buyer, when CGC is at fault.

If PGX or any other company had this happen to them, people would be paying to host sites, and linking to it. Again I am not defending PGX or advocating, just talking about the hypocrisy that the attack dogs spew when they are fighting to protect their lunch.

Transparency and Accountability is what CGC needs to increase in spades.

Gotcha!

I agree with you that transparency and accountability would benefit public relations but that only changes when any company internally is compelled to do so. I think that the continuing mob chant has been that competition will change things.

Maybe one of you can recap the names.

Seems strange for someone to ask for names, then turtle when asked to provide their own - worse of which, to come on and tear a new one into "dealers who can't grade" like some motivation of fear that should compel all collectors to run in droves to have their books graded by CGC.

I like to see you squirm because you do it so deliciously. I want you and Nick to name names because you are giving unsupported arguments as fact. Typical internet barristers with no legs to stand on.

Here, I'll make it easy on you. It was a different subject but close enough. Care to support your claims as much?

Link

So, you've been disputing our claims based on data you collated...using CGC as the 'test'?

Can you not see that it's impossible to dispute what I've said (that CGC is inherently inconsistent) by judging dealers' consistency against CGC and against each other?

I know you read my comment that it wasn't 'to the same. Did you choose to ignore it on purpose?

I see a few very vested interests in this string of conversations.

I know many collectors and a few dealers that I buy from raw in a heartbeat. The consistent graders who I buy from that when submitting books, I know will come back with a higher CGC number.

It's my special list :sumo:

It's very interesting that the hue and cry, and ultimately solution, is for there to be competition as that would solve all problems.

I think it will solve some problems, spur innovation and perhaps resolve inconsistencies.

But we'd have new complaints about the new company.

I also think it's interesting that we wax poetic about the days gone by in terms of grading. If we all saw how the sausage got made, maybe we wouldn't be so keen.

Regardless, I think most folks would agree that some competition would be a good thing. I guess we'll have to watch what happens.

It's very interesting that the hue and cry, and ultimately solution, is for there to be competition as that would solve all problems.

I think it will solve some problems, spur innovation and perhaps resolve inconsistencies.

But we'd have new complaints about the new company.

I also think it's interesting that we wax poetic about the days gone by in terms of grading. If we all saw how the sausage got made, maybe we wouldn't be so keen.

Regardless, I think most folks would agree that some competition would be a good thing. I guess we'll have to watch what happens.

You're starting to sound like me. :baiting:

Zoso20's CSI-Level Guide to Trim Detection

1. Untrimmed

Journey-Into-Mystery-83.jpg

2. Trimmed

thortrimm.jpg

3. Possibly Trimmed

thorposs.jpg

That should settle any possible confusion and get all involved up to my level of expertise.

******* No Copies of JIM #83 were hurt in the making of this guide.

'Very' being an understatement.

Are you saying that all of my CGC books may decrease in value if confidence in CGC was to waver?

There is nobody without some sort of vested interest in this thread.

Dealers who rely almost exclusively on CGC graded books (like myself) and collectors who enjoy collecting them want them to do a good job of maintaining their public image but we also want CGC to do their job properly. Nobody of any reasonable reputation wants CGC to 'take the money and run' by handing out gift grades. That's short sighted.

There are people who absolutely hate CGC and want them to crash and burn and take every opportunity to post and say so.

There are collectors who want them to grade as tight as nails so they have better looking books.

There are dealers who don't want them too tight because for some of our inventories it literally means the different between a 5 and a 6 figure income.

So there really are very few people without some vested interest in the topic and I'd say that most who enjoy or sell comics have more than just a passing vested interest.

Are you saying that all of my CGC books may decrease in value if confidence in CGC was to waver?

Not sure if serious.... hm

The first time I heard of CGC or anything like it was in an ad in the CBG looking to hire graders and other workers. At the time I thought it was a non-starter as fans wouldn't want their books encapsulated in plastic, but a few shop owners convinced me that the end result would be that I could call up a store in California and have them ship me a FF #1 sight unseen because it was in a plastic slab that stated it was a 6.0.

The whole idea behind CGC was to gain the ability to buy sight unseen, with confidence.

That seems a long time ago, these days.

He's got the type of vested interest that pokes fun at people who have a vested interest in CGC.

lol

He's got the type of vested interest that pokes fun at people who have a vested interest in CGC.

lol

The fact that some people have a vested interest in CGC and that some of them may be posting in this thread is a complete shock to me!

:o

lol

The fact that some people have a vested interest in CGC and that some of them may be posting in this thread is a complete shock to me!

I think they should all have to wear a scarlet letter before posting. :sumo:

lol

Shocking, I know, but if the new grading company started, I would quit using CGC in a heartbeat.

lol

Shocking, I know, but if the new grading company started, I would quit using CGC in a heartbeat.

Not sure if serious... hm

:baiting:

How about people who just want to make sure cheaters aren't using "timed" submissions to CGC in the same way people used to use PGX as a vehicle to pass restored books through undetected?

Does voicing this concern, whether it's PGX, CGC, Vault, or whomever necessarily entail I want to see them crash and burn?

How about expecting fairness, integrity, best practices and honesty from a hobby, where I apply those same tenets to each transaction, and do everything in my power to put a positive step forward?

Sorry, but to make blanket assumptions on people's motivations, especially when a complaint of this nature arises, is like trying to use fuel to put out a fire.

How about expecting fairness, integrity and honesty from a hobby, where I apply those same tenets to each transaction, and do everything in my power to put a positive step forward?

I'm pretty sure most if not all people who participate in public discussions want fairness. Everyone just perceives it differently and goes about voicing it differently. There's money involved and where there is money there is politics.

I think it goes without saying that I'd love consistency and I've posted as such several times over the years.