• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your comic "pet peeve?"

54 posts in this topic

While I gravitate more towards 4.0-6.0 books these days, I've purchased my share of low grade with all kinds of flaws. Some certainly bug me more than others, and I don't think I've ever pulled the trigger on a "rodent chew" book, but ultimately front cover eye-appeal is what trumps any other consideration beyond completeness and true brittleness. So for me, the more damage and defacing the front cover has, the less interested I am. I've seen CGC 3.5s with scribbling or extreme fading that I wouldn't take over a 1.5 with strong FC eye-appeal.

When buying 4.0 and above, I'm not fond of books that are graded that high but still have large color breaking creases on the front.

1. Brittle pages

2. Books with heavy writing on the cover (Also large amount's of color touch on main artwork)

3. Taped spines, large tapes tears on cover

4. Pieces missing from the center of the book on the cover.

1: tape pulls

2: people bidding against me on E-Bay

3: TAPE PULLS "I really hate them"

A while back, I read a suggestion to use Post-It flags, rather than tape, to seal bags. Works like a charm in (almost) eliminating the chance of tape pulls.

yeah but it doesn't help on a book that has them when you are looking at buying them :(

for instance this beautiful ABC I own. it came with the tape pull on Doc's face :(

aetxlg.jpg

yeah but it doesn't help on a book that has them when you are looking at buying them :(

for instance this beautiful ABC I own. it came with the tape pull on Doc's face :(

That physically pains me to see on such a nice book! :sick: it really, really does :cry:

Rusty staples
I'm always amazed that a book with rusty staples that create stains on the cover can grade north of an 8.5, but a microscopic stain will send your grade plummeting. :blahblah:

But I +1 this. Rusty staples were always a deal breaker with me, regardless of how nice the book might be otherwise.

I have to agree with this. How in the h.e. double-hockey sticks does a book with a transfer stain from a rusty staple still get an 8.5? Rusty staples make me :sick: but actual rust migration makes me :fear:

I hate it when the printing doesn't align all the colors correctly.

That bothers me too, but depending on the book it is not always offsetting (especially with the hard to find books with a small population)

Brittle pages

rusty staples

tape

in that order, I just won't buy a brittle book unless it is some I can't otherwise get and is cheap.

I won't own a rusty book either

Tape I will accept but I really don't like it and will only keep books with tape when I don't have any other option like mt Detective 28.

James G

I hate it when the printing doesn't align all the colors correctly.

That bothers me too, but depending on the book it is not always offsetting (especially with the hard to find books with a small population)

Straw-man has a collection of these. Cool to look at these especially in a collection like this. Not anything I would go after but kind of neat to turn the error into a collection.

BP's Out of Register Run

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7166288&fpart=1