• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

more Cool Lines deceit: misrepresented/modified art
1 1

81 posts in this topic

This won't be news to any experienced collectors but I think these things need to be pointed out for the newer collectors to be aware of the unscrupulous practices of certain dealers.

I owned this piece and sold it last year:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=296209

This was NOT an alternative or 'first version' cover to Punisher 2099 #1, and it did NOT have the title and issue number stats on it when I owned it. After acquiring the piece I corresponded with the artist, Duke Mighten, and he told me that he was comissioned by Marvel to pencil two 'fill-in' issues with covers but that they were never published before the series was cancelled so calling this a 'first version' cover of #1 is a flat out lie.

Why do they keep prices so top secret?

I suspect posting prices at multiples of FMV would lead many not to "inquire" any further.

Also, so the price can remain a moving target.

Think of them as Lucy, the price as the football, and yourself as Charlie Brown.

Edited by Citizenvain

I posted this in another thread but it might be buried there and it also seems more relevant for this thread so I hope you can forgive me for this repost:

------------------

Let me share my first-hand story about "that feeling I got."

In April 2012 was around a time I was just getting in comic art collecting. I saw this auction on eBay and just like with every auction, I always save the image to so I can scrutinize it more thoroughly and zoom in using different Photoshop filters to really appreciate the art. So this was the cover I was chasing AS POSTED ON EBAY.

KGrHqNHJCME9ubOoDP0BPc7WuWD8w60_57_zpsffd0c24e.jpg

I was the underbidder in this auction and the piece went for just over $800, which is fair. Even though it was a published cover, it was a recreation of a Sekowsky image from that era, and had no backgrounds and a lot of whiteout below Batman's feet.

I finally saw it in the Cool Lines site, and it was "modified". I think it is still there now. Here is how it looks now:

aOrdwayJusticeLeagueArchive8Cover_zps27d42b22.jpg

It seems like they added the backgrounds manually (check how bad the circle in the background looks) when there really was supposed to be no backgrounds because it was done digitally. Even the logo was "pasted on" to the board.

So the page does not resemble anything close to the original page offered in the eBay auction anymore.

As for the clincher? In April 2012, it went for $800. In January 2014, Cool Lines email that it is $5,450 but on sale now for $4,450!!!

So to those who say you can expect it advertised for 3x the price after you are the underbidder, then you are wrong! It will be 5x the price and significantly altered!

Buyer Beware!

-----------------

I've seen them take a splash page and turn it into a cover and sold it as a cover. They did that with Thunderbolts #130. It originally sold from the artist's rep for under $150 as an inks over blueline (so, not even original pencils), I'm not sure how much they ended up selling the piece for since it's marked as "Sold" and I think they even implied (Pen and Ink) as original art, not disclosing the inks over blueline hybrid original art status.

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=292432

This piece as initially the end page of THUNDERBOLTS #130 page #22, then that issue went into a 2nd printing and the end splash page was used as a Variant Cover.

So, they put up the stats etc to turn it into what looks like the cover, which is in truth what it is/was/ended up being.

They love to remix and modify artwork when they can, but I don't think they're doing anything to the original art other than adding elements like titles and stats. As a purist it's near sacrilegious to add anything to the original piece and these modifications should be done as a translucent overlay instead of a pasted on stat, then you retain the original art as well as get the aesthetics of a similar look to the published piece.

At least they're not reprinting original art and calling them production pieces and trying to sell 'em.

Wow a thread I can pitch in on!!!

Art as it was purchased by cool lines for about $700 at a heritage auction:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=30877&GSub=3980

Art now for sale, after it's magically acquired new borders:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=290482

Yuppers! Roll right up for actual misrepresentation before your very eyes!

Price I was quoted by cool lines after I specifically asked whether they had added borders and was told no...

$7k

That's a 10x mark up! Great work if you can get it. Course you need to commit fraud and lie to potential customers... But hey, that's collecting original art for you!!

Wow a thread I can pitch in on!!!

Art as it was purchased by cool lines for about $700 at a heritage auction:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=30877&GSub=3980

Art now for sale, after it's magically acquired new borders:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=290482

Yuppers! Roll right up for actual misrepresentation before your very eyes!

Price I was quoted by cool lines after I specifically asked whether they had added borders and was told no...

$7k

That's a 10x mark up! Great work if you can get it. Course you need to commit fraud and lie to potential customers... But hey, that's collecting original art for you!!

:o Wow, there have been numerous innuendo about these guys but mostly about their pricing. This thread is quite eye opening :o:o

CoolLines off my list

This won't be news to any experienced collectors but I think these things need to be pointed out for the newer collectors to be aware of the unscrupulous practices of certain dealers.

I owned this piece and sold it last year:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/featured.asp?Piece=296209

This was NOT an alternative or 'first version' cover to Punisher 2099 #1, and it did NOT have the title and issue number stats on it when I owned it. After acquiring the piece I corresponded with the artist, Duke Mighten, and he told me that he was comissioned by Marvel to pencil two 'fill-in' issues with covers but that they were never published before the series was cancelled so calling this a 'first version' cover of #1 is a flat out lie.

Yikes. They should have statted Frank's face.

Its certainly not for me.

What's up with the three white teeth in front of frank's groin too. Its a good thing he has an open legged stance because there's no chance of closing your legs together with that there.

Compare to the classic punisher costume where the teeth stop at the belt so that the character can, you know, move

This is totally unacceptable. Not only is it dishonest and predatory but they are ruining good art.

I would not touch a modified piece with a ten foot pole.

For an extra $10K I bet they will color it in for ya.

That's not the only issue I have noticed. The cover to Wolverine 86 they have for sale is being sold as an Adam Kubert. Once at a show I had asked Adam about the cover and he told me it was all Ron Garney. I mentioned that to the brothers but it was never changed.

That's not the only issue I have noticed. The cover to Wolverine 86 they have for sale is being sold as an Adam Kubert. Once at a show I had asked Adam about the cover and he told me it was all Ron Garney. I mentioned that to the brothers but it was never changed.

:facepalm: