• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Club/Meetup
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Update on the comic book club we started a few weeks ago.

We were pretty successful handing out flyers at the local con Saturday and Sunday and 18 comic collectors have signed up for the club. It was fun to man the booth where the only purpose was to talk about comics. I met a Carl Barks fan and I thought I was the only one locally.

Westy Steve and I held the first comic book club meeting tonight. The meeting was held just 5 days after most of the new members signed up. Ten people showed up tonight.

The whole meeting was a huge success. We gave brief introductions, Steve showed off his Action Comics 252 and talked a little bit about Super Girl, I showed off the Gerber Guides and a Strange Tales 110. Everyone talked about what they were reading, likes and dislikes, and favorite characters and titles. Some of us brought comics and trades for the lending library. I added the Watchmen TP to the library and I brought home the first 6 issues of Mark Waid's Daredevil to read.

Can't wait for the next meeting!

I highly recommend that some of your boardies consider a meetup or club. We were surprised how many people were receptive to the whole thing and I'm sure we're all looking forward to the next one.

Steve

Edited by Westy Steve

This is why I wish I had comic collector friends around me. I have cool stuff for no one to ever see except myself,

You'll never find any comic collectors in a desolate place like LA hm

I know, right? ;)

Well 5 years later and we are still meeting every month. Some of the original members are still around and new members come and go.  Some months there might be 8 of us (April’s meeting) and sometimes there are 20 (February’s meeting) but it is always a good time and lots of great discussion.

3 hours ago, Dormian said:

Well 5 years later and we are still meeting every month. Some of the original members are still around and new members come and go.  Some months there might be 8 of us (April’s meeting) and sometimes there are 20 (February’s meeting) but it is always a good time and lots of great discussion.

Congratulations to you!

21 hours ago, Dormian said:

That's really cool, groups like that are hard to keep together. Good work!

Isotope Comics in SF has a Graphic Novel Book Club.  Third meeting coming up the 2nd Sunday of May (they're typically on the first Sunday of each month, but FCBD coincides).  We're reading/discussing a Mighty Thor TPB this time around.

Edited by exitmusicblue

A book club is a good idea. We don't have any that formal but I have gotten a lot of great reading suggestions from the group. We are 100% by the seat of our pants. We tried to do an agenda including presentations for the first couple of meetings but we never stuck to the agenda. One of the things that has helped us is a consistent location to meet. We lucked into a local restaurant that has a back room, full bar and good food. They have us permanently scheduled for the 2nd Wednesday of every month.  If any boardies are in Tallahassee area on the 2nd Wednesday come by Backwoods Bistro at 6:30.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tallahasseecomicbookclub/