• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Bronze Marvel Discussion Part One - Captain America

10 posts in this topic

As my collecting preferences change, I find myself more and more interested in building a reading library of comics, instead of collecting high grade.

With that in mind, can anyone speak to the quality, or lack thereof, of bronze age Caps?

Other than the Kirby issues starting with 193 and the later Zeck issues, I never payed much attention to bronze Caps. How are they? Worth picking up on the cheap as readers?

The Englehart era is very good. I'd say overall, 137-183 ranges from solid to excellent. The 50's Cap story in #153-156 and the Secret Empire saga and the Nomad issues that follow (#170-183) are some of the best Cap stories ever. The other issues in this era don't quite rise to that level, but they're all solid anyway.

Before and after this run aren't as good though.

Definitely the BA Byrne Caps are great for and art and story, it's just that not a lot of important or memorable stuff goes on. Cap kinda drifts after Kirby takes over and it's kind of a muddle until Byrne and then Zeck.

The latest Marvel Masterworks: Captain America V7 just came out. Reprints 149-159, about $52 from Amazon.

I picked it up because some of those issues aren't even cheap as beaters anymore.

The latest Marvel Masterworks: Captain America V7 just came out. Reprints 149-159, about $52 from Amazon.

I picked it up because some of those issues aren't even cheap as beaters anymore.

Good choice on this run. But rather than wasting money at close to retail prices, you should wait a little longer after the hc release for hoarders to start selling off their pristine issues from this run. A trend for most such releases, and you may be surprised about the continual influx of high grade issues after announcements of tpbs have been made.

Truth be told, many of the non BA keys in such situations tend to sell below guide/market value despite the progressions of time by value.