• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know about the odd writing on this?

15 posts in this topic

So I got this comic, and oddly enought it has writing on the cover that is very, very neat that says "reading copy". Being so nicely written, I am curious about its origins. Who wrote it? I assume a collector with multiple copies, saving one for reading and the others (presumably better condition) for investment. I wonder if any of you guys know of a collector that would have this habit of labelling the comics on the cover like this. It at first bothered me (I got it cheaper that I expected for this condition) but it grew on me, I kind of like it now. It is in very good condition for a "reader" so that is also a little confusing, any ideas?

Thanks!

cap530a2_zps48ec33e4.jpg

Over the years, I've seen a ton of books with various types of original owner notations. Don't ever be "confused" or surprised to see such markings on an above average copy. Less than 0.01% of off-the-rack buyers in the 1940s~1950s believed comics to be a collectible worth preserving.

Over the years, I've seen a ton of books with various types of original owner notations. Don't ever be "confused" or surprised to see such markings on an above average copy. Less than 0.01% of off-the-rack buyers in the 1940s~1950s believed comics to be a collectible worth preserving.

Here's one of those "Less than 0.01%"

mm

mm

And trust me, it means a lot to us newbies that people like you are around, if you guys weren't many golden ages would just be *gone*. Comics are not designed to last so their preservation to this day rests squarely on the shoulders of the 0.01% (worship)

Other than the writing on the cover, I think this comic is in really nice condition! It is very sharp and clean

mm

And trust me, it means a lot to us newbies that people like you are around, if you guys weren't many golden ages would just be *gone*. Comics are not designed to last so their preservation to this day rests squarely on the shoulders of the 0.01% (worship)

Thank you for your very kind words. I really enjoy being able to share my collection and

recall the times when I picked these books off the newsstand and the many hours of

pure escapism they gave me.

mm

I read comics for the escape, but they have always provided me inspiration to try great things that many claim impossible. Always fun to say to someone when they ask how I came up with something "I got the idea from a comic book! Don't worry, it should work; I mean Batman did it, so why can't I?" :D

mm

You, Edgar Church, and a handful of other collectors.

Writing "Reading copy" on a book is pretty unusual, I think. It's pretty common to see the word "read" written on a book. I always picture a kid back from the newsstand with a stack of books, writing on each as he finishes it.

Considering how nice the book looks, I'm doubtful that it was an inferior copy designated by a collector as his or her "reading copy", but more likely something like a retail establishment that was trying to limit the number of comics damaged by kids hanging around the magazine rack, or possibly a collector who divided their collection into a private stash and books available to siblings and friends. "You're only allowed to read the ones marked "reading copy" Billy, because you mess up my comics when you read them!"

Anyone with younger siblings who collected comics in the pre-bag & board days will understand the latter situation.