• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World St. Louis Comic Con, May 22-24, 2015

71 posts in this topic

And I believe, on Mother's Day.

According to Google it is on the 10th in 2015, so they dodged that bullet at least.

thank god for small miracles.

Very few if any national dealers will be at this show next year.

The traffic for day 3 was pretty low. Most of the larger vendors I talked with and a few of the smaller dealers were underwhelmed by their sales volume for the weekend. Not many seemed interested in coming back, especially with the new date.

Yep, many of the artists were doing rock bottom or even free sketches near 2:30 - 3:00 as they simply had nothing to do. Crowd more Celeb and Cosplay look at me then doing any shopping. Felt bad at times but understood everyone leaving early. Capullo didn't have a single CGC book needing to be signed on Sunday I think and his line dwindled down as well.

I can understand a vendor who sets up at these shows getting the word out early but who in gods name cares about a show over 1 year away?? If you are someone who is excited about this show you really need to find a new hobby!!!

I can understand a vendor who sets up at these shows getting the word out early but who in gods name cares about a show over 1 year away?? If you are someone who is excited about this show you really need to find a new hobby!!!

As someone who starts, reads, and posts in threads for shows a year out, these threads are helpful. Some of us really enjoy specific shows and look forward to them. Some of us have to plan travel and would like to set calendars. Nobody is forcing you to plan ahead, so if you're more spontaneous by nature then feel free to embrace that and stay the hell out of these threads.

My 6000th post rantrant

I would agree with the above sentiment; very few if any national dealers will be at this con. There was a drop off from last year to this year, and I would look for that to be more precipitous in the future.

I also agree with what Chuck said; STL just isn't much of a high dollar comic book town. I think part of the problem-which could be skewed due to my collecting habits and preferences-is a lack of presentable mid grade books on the sales floor. Seems like lots of high grade from national dealers and not too much else. I cant hold that against them. They are businessmen with a model that works for them. But I cant help to think that the high grade price point may be suppressing the sales of non-key books at this con and others in comparable cities. Then again, I could be way off.

I would agree with the above sentiment; very few if any national dealers will be at this con. There was a drop off from last year to this year, and I would look for that to be more precipitous in the future.

I also agree with what Chuck said; STL just isn't much of a high dollar comic book town. I think part of the problem-which could be skewed due to my collecting habits and preferences-is a lack of presentable mid grade books on the sales floor. Seems like lots of high grade from national dealers and not too much else. I cant hold that against them. They are businessmen with a model that works for them. But I cant help to think that the high grade price point may be suppressing the sales of non-key books at this con and others in comparable cities. Then again, I could be way off.

This could be very possible. However, I wonder if there is enough money (dollar wise) to sell mid grade books and pay for table costs.

I don't care much in the way of mid grade at all. Mid grade and low grade is available almost anywhere.

I personally did okay at the show and would have been back, if it were not the same dates as both Dallas and Motor City (where I will likely be). The show was slow though as far as number of sales.

Dale, you are probably right about midgrade books having a negative impact on national dealers like yourself, from a profit margin stand point, I would assume. I thumbed through your books on a couple of occasions Friday, and they were beautiful across the board.

Like I said above, I can't really blame national dealers for the stock that they carry. You guys have a model that works for you. I just wish there was more stuff in the middle. It seems like feast or famine in STL at least. It's either high grade from national dealers or 1.8-3.0 silver age raws from everybody else.

For instance, I went on Friday hoping to fill in some holes in my Avengers run from 10-50. I came home with 0 books from this run. Just couldn't find anything in my 6.0 "sweet spot", which as a collector is the place that offers the most collectability/readability/presentation for me personally.

This also could have as much to do with the lack of collectors building runs, as it seems many folks are focusing on keys. I suppose maybe that has an impact on what dealers of every ilk are keeping on hand.

Regardless, I don't have high hopes for next year. It looks like 'll just be holding back more cash for Chicago.