• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbed book falling apart

37 posts in this topic

I recently had some books slabbed, and I sold one of them via eBay last week.

The person I sold the book to said there was an issue with it, and he sent me pictures. I told him to send me the book, and I took some pictures after I received it which can be see at bottom.

At this point, I'm not exactly sure what's going on. The case looks solid, but the book inside the slab looks like it's coming apart with the pages looking like they're sliding out of the book.

At this point, I'm leaning towards refunding the customer as there's obvious damage to the book. The question I have is whether this was a slab issue or a post office issue. I packed the comic in a priority mail box with bubble wrap and newspaper to keep it from shaking around.

vjYZBTDl.jpg

IJKlVUWl.jpg

1GoxuMQl.jpg

nKbpTfGl.jpg

Cgc puts a sheet of paper inside every book they grade. I forget what it's called but it's designed to keep acid from destroying the book over time. Sometimes that sheet moves around inside the case and becomes visible. There's nothing wrong with the book and it's pretty common for that sheet to move and become visible.

what happens with this type of inner well or sleeve is that the cover of the comic tends to cling to the mylar plastic and when the slab is dropped or bumped aggressively the cover will cling and the interior wraps will shift causing this kind of overlapping and stressing the staples.

you can attribute this damage to SCS(shaken comic syndrome). this type of damage is endemic to this particular well. With the other deeper well, you get the more common bumps on dents on the edges.

Rufus, what you're seeing in the picture isn't the acid sheet. Those are the pages of the comic which look like they've come undone from the staples. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I can see the artwork on the pages.

Rufus, what you're seeing in the picture isn't the acid sheet. Those are the pages of the comic which look like they've come undone from the staples. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I can see the artwork on the pages.

Conan explained what has most likely happened. Can you post a pic of the staples? Staple tears will confirm the post-slabbing damage ( SCS ).

Just my opinion but I think the book is fine. I have a lot of Image books that look like that and I just attribute to bindery process at the publisher.

Did it look different before you sent to CGC?

Just my opinion but I think the book is fine. I have a lot of Image books that look like that and I just attribute to bindery process at the publisher.

+1

Based on the photos, there's nothing wrong with the book - you see Image books that look like this all the time.

+1

Based on the photos, there's nothing wrong with the book - you see Image books that look like this all the time.

+1 if the cover looks okay at the staples, no tears or pulling, then it's fine. I have image books that look like that. You can refund him his money if you want, but I'm pretty sure it's okay.

+1

+1 if the cover looks okay at the staples, no tears or pulling, then it's fine. I have image books that look like that. You can refund him his money if you want, but I'm pretty sure it's okay.

^^

If it's what I think it is, you can tap the inner pages back into alignment, if the pages don't budge, don't force it.

but since you submitted the book, you should know if the pages shifted, and you can make up your own mind as to whether it's normal or SCS.

usually if it's normal, it's because the cover is cut smaller than the interior pages. If you look at the bottom edge and you see the cover overlapping and the interior pages recessed, that's a sign to me that the cover has shifted.

you gotta look at the staple holes to see if they've torn or have gotten wider. That can be a sign.

with raw books is easy to tell because you can easily realign the cover with the interior pages when you have wear on the staple holes.

This can happen to raw comics in tight mylars as well. The cover clings to the mylar but since the covers are so glossy and slippery, there is less friction between cover and interior pages. I've dropped a few, it happens. One of the few drawbacks of mylars.

+1

It looks like about 90% of the WD 48s and 53s I have ever owned. It was produced like that. No slab damage.

+1

+2

You guys are aware that this is not a walking dead 53 or 61. Show me a manifest destiny#1 like this, no, show me many to prove the problem is endemic to the run. Stop showing books that everyone is aware it had that printing peculiarity.

nah

yeah, that's it, I'm not defending my pov on this matter anymore, if this spoon won't come back and speak as to the condition of the staples and appearance prior to slabbing.

You guys are aware that this is not a walking dead 53 or 61. Show me a manifest destiny#1 like this, no, show me many to prove the problem is endemic to the run. Stop showing books that everyone is aware it had that printing peculiarity.

Dude - this is a very common issue with Image books in general (which are all printed by the same company).

I realize you're just trying to cover all the bases here, but continuing to insist that this is SCS or that the book has been torn from staples when there's a much simpler, logical explanation that perfectly matches the photos posted by the OP seems a bit silly. Nobody's disputing that what you describe can happen - it's just fairly obvious that it's not the case for this particular book :foryou:

Dude - this is a very common issue with Image books in general (which are all printed by the same company).

I realize you're just trying to cover all the bases here, but continuing to insist that this is SCS or that the book has been torn from staples when there's a much simpler, logical explanation that perfectly matches the photos posted by the OP seems a bit silly. Nobody's disputing that what you describe can happen - it's just fairly obvious that it's not the case for this particular book :foryou:

yeah, that's it, I'm not defending my pov on this matter anymore, if this spoon won't come back and speak as to the condition of the staples and appearance prior to slabbing.

:gossip: I give up the argument the previous post