• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book men what a waste of time.

77 posts in this topic

Comic Book Men is lame.

But....Kevin Smith's FatMan on Batman podcast is pretty good, if you're into rambling interviews with Neal Adams, Joe Quesada, etc.

(thumbs u

I haven't heard Smith's Fatman on Batman yet, but the Comic Book Men Podcast is worse than the show.

Don't bother with the Comic Book Men podcast. But FatMan on Batman can be great, depending on the guest.

On the podcast do they talk about what they talked about after the store sequence?

'Hey remember when we talked about that guy brought in that Daredevil? You were drinking that slurpee and it spilled on the microphone...'

Yeah, the show is pretty lackluster. The only episode I've liked is when the gorgeous brunette came in with the CGC Pep Comics and schooled all those fools. You could tell she had more accumulated comic knowledge in her little finger than all of the store employees combined.

I kept waiting for the thought balloon to appear over her head with some hilarious remark like "Now I know how Raquel Welch felt in One Million Years B.C." or "These clowns have nuthin' on the Senior Class at Riverdale High"

Seriously, I'm sure the employees are.....passable in their knowledge of comic minutae but they obviously have to make the show appeal to as many viewers as possible. If they geared the show towards only Accomplished Fanboys/Literary Historians such as ourselves they'd only have only what? 37 viewers? (Or to be more precise how many peeps are reading in Comics General at this very moment?)

Yeah, the show is pretty lackluster. The only episode I've liked is when the gorgeous brunette came in with the CGC Pep Comics and schooled all those fools. You could tell she had more accumulated comic knowledge in her little finger than all of the store employees combined.

I kept waiting for the thought balloon to appear over her head with some hilarious remark like "Now I know how Raquel Welch felt in One Million Years B.C." or "These clowns have nuthin' on the Senior Class at Riverdale High"

Seriously, I'm sure the employees are.....passable in their knowledge of comic minutae but they obviously have to make the show appeal to as many viewers as possible. If they geared the show towards only Accomplished Fanboys/Literary Historians such as ourselves they'd only have only what? 37 viewers? (Or to be more precise how many peeps are reading in Comics General at this very moment?)

They could make it interesting by going into detail on stuff like they do on antiques roadshow.

Most of it requires very little brain power to watch. However, the same can be said about many movies. I too find it sad that channels like History and A&E have to resort to this type of entertainment but I guess that's what it is, entertainment. Just not for me personally

My wife looks at me like I have three heads because I'm sitting there watching documentaries about the dark ages and world war II. lol

My wife does the same thing.I tell her that if you don't learn from the past,you are doomed to repeat it.

Oakman-who is a huge history buff. :cloud9:

Same here. +1

I want more "Dogfights"... that show was pretty badass.

:)

-slym

Was that that Michael Vick show?

2 out of the 4 guys on the show don't even work at the store, so their limited knowledge of comics is to be expected. Walt and Mike know a great deal about comics, but the format of the show limits their ability to actually talk about them.

They've said repeatedly that they don't want to make a carbon copy of Pawn Stars so they limit the transaction part of the show, even though its the only part that comic fans actually care about. I think the show is pretty terrible in regards to the "storylines" format, but the show averages 1 million viewers a week on a Sunday night at midnight and got renewed for a fourth season so it works for them.

What was there before? Nothing really. So why complain about it being here. It's better than nothing. Don't like it don't watch it. The Toy Hunter and Comic Book Men are recorded every week in my house. I watch it because I like it. There has been some so so episodes but for the most part it's cool for me. Then again, I'm a 36 year old dorky husband/dad with a hint of coolness:)

I like the show.. It's funny, and not meant to be taken seriously, like the before mentioned Antiques Roadshow..

Obviously they have to make up some kind of storyline, otherwise it'd be like hanging out in a comic book store all day.. boring.

2 out of the 4 guys on the show don't even work at the store, so their limited knowledge of comics is to be expected. Walt and Mike know a great deal about comics, but the format of the show limits their ability to actually talk about them.

I thought Brian was the only one that didn't actually work at the store.

Does your LCS owner have an encyclopedic knowledge of comics? None of mine ever had. They knew what they liked, they knew what sold. Of course, what sells is just what you order, so if you never flip to the back of the Previews catalog, you'll never know if any of it sells. Anyway, they know current Marvel and DC and whatever has a Campbell cover or a TV show.

Does your LCS owner have an encyclopedic knowledge of comics? None of mine ever had. They knew what they liked, they knew what sold. Of course, what sells is just what you order, so if you never flip to the back of the Previews catalog, you'll never know if any of it sells. Anyway, they know current Marvel and DC and whatever has a Campbell cover or a TV show.

Brian at A1 comics knowledge would smoke these fools.

What was there before? Nothing really. So why complain about it being here. It's better than nothing. Don't like it don't watch it. The Toy Hunter and Comic Book Men are recorded every week in my house. I watch it because I like it. There has been some so so episodes but for the most part it's cool for me. Then again, I'm a 36 year old dorky husband/dad with a hint of coolness:)

That is an absurd statement.

Just because there was nothing before does not mean I should be happy with this drivel.

I remember an episode in Season 1 where a guy came in to sell a Commando figure. They told him it was useless, etc and paid like 20 bucks for it. A couple of months later the same figure sells on the eBay account of the toy guy for like 400 bucks.

Brian at A1 comics knowledge would smoke these fools.

The manager at my old (and now defunct) LCS, Russ, could talk to anyone about comics all day long, from SA oddities to modern X-Men to anything in between.

(thumbs u

-slym

Just cause people watch something doesn't mean it's good. People watched 'Alf'.