• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book men what a waste of time.

77 posts in this topic

I know you guys have said this before but I am finally convinced. 2 minutes of comic books with no depth and 18 minutes of staged and purile .

Renaissance fair wth...

+1

And this is why I could never get into the show.

It's mildly entertaining from time to time. All of these occupational reality shows are the same. I'd say you either like the genre or not.

The best was the Superman episode, where they had the costume party with Dean Cain. Who actually believed that all those party guests were random comic fans and not a bunch of stand in paid extras?

I know you guys have said this before but I am finally convinced. 2 minutes of comic books with no depth and 18 minutes of staged and purile .

Renaissance fair wth...

I think I may have watched like one episode in the first season.

I am surprised it`s still on air. I guess it does good in the ratings or they would have pulled the plug.

It's mildly entertaining from time to time. All of these occupational reality shows are the same. I'd say you either like the genre or not.

The best was the Superman episode, where they had the costume party with Dean Cain. Who actually believed that all those party guests were random comic fans and not a bunch of stand in paid extras?

I watch for the day Ming snaps, and beats the living sheet out of Walt.

People need to stop thinking its about comics or a store.

There is no way to sustain a weekly show on comics.

Its called Comic Book MEN for a reason. Its about the personalities on the show.

Its called Comic Book MEN for a reason. Its about the personalities on the show.

I can focus on the word MEN but that requires me to ignore COMIC and BOOK, the two words that made me watch the show in the first place.

I am writing the show off and won't return to it.

As for personalities, they are ho hum to say the least.

I'm with Dr X. That's 15 minutes of my life I will never get back.

There are NO personalities on the show.

can't be doing to bad, it's been renewed for a fourth series

there was an episode a few weeks ago that was comic centric and 90% of people on here who watch it said it was one of the less entertaining ones

the type of show that people on here want would be better suited to a youtube channel because unless you're interested in the specific books being explored it'd be pretty boring

That has nothing to do with it, and because reality TV is so dirt cheap to produce, the only way even a semi-popular show gets canned is if the stars get into a scandal, and even then, it's 50-50.

I find it extremely sad to tune in once-proud cable channels like A&E, TLC, History Channel, etc and have them populated with juvenile, brainless reality TV junk.

That has nothing to do with it, and because reality TV is so dirt cheap to produce, the only way even a semi-popular show gets canned is if the stars get into a scandal, and even then, it's 50-50.

I find it extremely sad to tune in once-proud cable channels like A&E, TLC, History Channel, etc and have them populated with juvenile, brainless reality TV junk.

angry-old-man.jpg

Do you have even the faintest clue how incredibly cheap reality TV is compared to network sitcoms, news or investigative programs?

You post that "old man" image, then come off like a brainless tool by not understanding what I am saying is 100% true and irrefutable.

You might want to expand your meager understanding of the genre with some research:

The Economics of Reality TV: Why is the Genre So Darn Cheap?

http://www.rtvfmediastudies.tcu.edu/economics%20why%20the%20genre%20is%20cheap.htm

How much does it cost to produce a reality TV show versus a scripted show?

Some shows are so cheap they involve fewer dollars than you have initials. Well, almost. You know that $100,000 contract that McKey Sullivan just won on America's Next Top Model? The money she'll get for gazing up at all those golly-gee tall New York skyscrapers and burbling, "This is my life as a Cover Girl"? She could make one whole reality TV episode with that cash.

"Generally, half-hour reality shows on cable are budgeted in the $100,000 to $500,000 range, per episode," says Hadjii, producer-director of the BET show Somebodies. (Yes, ANTM is one hour, but the models are really skinny, so they probably take up less budget.)

So how about your favorite scripted comedy or drama, like, say, Grey's Anatomy? Well...

One TV producer tells me that such dramas ring in at roughly $1 million per episode, but these days, that's more like a starting point. Take Spartacus, the sandal-strapped sword-swinging saga coming to the small screen via Starz. One report estimates the show's budget at $2 million per episode.

http://ca.eonline.com/news/70141/which-costs-more-reality-tv-or-scripted-series

Do you have even the faintest clue how incredibly cheap reality TV is compared to network sitcoms, news or investigative programs?

You post that "old man" image, then come off like a brainless tool by not understanding what I am saying is 100% true and irrefutable.

i think the picture was in response to

rather than the price of reality TV

the channels have a section of viewers that they aim to entertain, you are not in this group...

it's easier to understand this rather than go around calling people brainless...isn't it?

it's easier to understand this rather than go around calling people brainless...isn't it?

Who's calling anyone brainless (in the first post, which is what he replied to)?

Read the sentence again :facepalm: - I was calling the shows brainless, or do you think Honey Boo Boo is high-brow entertainment? :roflmao:

It may not be the best , most entertaining show in the world . But how many other shows out there on today's tv, or even ever in the history of TV have there been about comic books ?

Anything that has the possibility of bringing people into the comic book world is more than ok with me .

I sell comics in a trade center . People have asked about specific comics that have been mentioned or shown on the tv show .

I had a beautiful Amazing Spiderman # 238 . After it was shown being sold on the tv show. For $90 . I quickly sold mine for $60.

So the show may be a waste of time to you. But some of us appreciate what it does for the hobby .