• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the lowest acceptable collecting grade for you?

108 posts in this topic

What grade do you collect? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I personally like books if Fine or better condition for Silver Age, VG or better for Golden and VF or better for Bronze Age.

What fits for your collecting interests? popcorn.gif

GA: FN

SA: VF

BA:NM-

MA: toss 'em

Got deep pockets, do ya? makepoint.gif

Does the Silver Age include pre 1963? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess I should stipulate I buy VG or better for pre-1963 and attempt Fine or better from 1963 -1965, VF or better from 1966 up. yay.gif

Minimum VF and above for Bronze! acclaim.gif

Moderns would have to be NM!!! sumo.gif

GA: 7.0 or better (not really collecting in this space)

SA: 9.0 or better

BA: 9.0 or better

CA: 9.4 or better

MA: 9.8 or better (what am I saying--I have no 9.9/10.0 in my collection)

Again, the best deals are at 9.0. I'm slowly accepting 9.0 as my pocketbook continually shrinks.

And of course, I have duplicate copies I use as reader copies!!

So hard to say...for me it all really depends on the book. Typically speaking, I don't plunk down money for GA that's lower than fine, though I do own a Great Comics #3 that slabbed at 3.5. I was happy to own a presentable copy of that book in any unrestored grade. It's a book that so seldom comes around.

I recently also bought a raw fine copy of Crime Suspenstories #22 from Metro. Again, another book that I was happy to have, regardless of its status as a mid-grader.

Bronze I generally don't buy anything lower than a slabbed 9.2, but that's more of a self-imposed spending limitation than a hard and fast rule. I don't collect much silver at all, though when I do it's usually VF or better.

Again: What is the lowest acceptable grade you collect in?

"What wrong with a kiss, boy?" Monty Python in "The Meaning of Life" makepoint.gif

Good. There are some books that don't exist in grades much higher than that. Why limit yourself?

Again: What is the lowest acceptable grade you collect in?

"What wrong with a kiss, boy?" Monty Python in "The Meaning of Life" makepoint.gif

Good. There are some books that don't exist in grades much higher than that. Why limit yourself?

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifyay.gif

Let me try this again: What is the lowest acceptable grade you collect in?

"What's wrong with a kiss, boy?" Monty Python in "The Meaning of Life" makepoint.gif

Since I'm on dial-up and it's steam powered,....I'll repeat the question,..again.

For me it would be the books I collect. (Please don't say collect the book not the label).

Silver Surfer CGC 9.0 or better

Nick Fury CGC 9.4 or better

Iron Fist CGC 9.4 or better

Swamp Thing 9.4 or better

Modern 9.8 only

Crow books see below.

That is all I am looking for right now.

For me it would be the books I collect. (Please don't say collect the book not the label).

Silver Surfer CGC 9.0 or better

Nick Fury CGC 9.4 or better

Iron Fist CGC 9.4 or better

Swamp Thing 9.4 or better

Modern 9.8 only

Crow books see below.

That is all I am looking for right now.

Collect the book not the ,..... foreheadslap.gif You know what I was going to say! makepoint.gif

I guess it's appropriate to say: We are all in denile! Myself included!

Golden Age: I would accept a Good or Restored if it's next to impossible to get or just too dang expensive to buy!

Silver Age: I would hope for at least a VG, but would prefer a Fine or better.

Bronze: I would want a VF at the least.

Modern: I won't take less than a NM- for these (and even then I'd be reluctant)!

So far, only the Doughnut has been, IMHO, honest. makepoint.gif

To you Doughnut, acclaim.gif

Price and availability are big factors. What little Bronze I buy I like in VF - NM, but if I buy a lot with a couple of F/VF books in it I probably won't look too hard to replace them. With Silver it depends - some I just buy as readers and then G is okay, others I like to have in at least FN, and before prices got crazy I would look for NM copies of a few books. Gold & Atom age I like to have in at least 3.0, and prefer 4.0 or better, but I've bought fair copies when the price was right, although anything below a 2.0 usually annoys me. I recently bought a couple pre-code horror books in pretty ratty shape for the stories. If they had cool covers I would have wanted nicer copies, but as it was the contents that interested me, I didn't want to spend alot of money on them. While I appreciate a nice looking book, condition has generally been a secondary factor for me.