• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the lowest acceptable collecting grade for you?

108 posts in this topic

The Thor # 151 is a VG, The Batman # 227 has a staple pop, so it's closer to a Fine (looks like a VF otherwise).

Would you you not accept these in the lowest acceptable collecting grade? popcorn.gif

I'm just curious. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fuelman,

that Thor is absolutely collectable, it may not be "investment grade", but you can be sure that there are people out there who would be happy to have it in their collection.

I agree with you! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Err...how was my answer dishonest?

It wasn't in the least dishonest! You were very honest in your response. hi.gifflowerred.gif

Here's a question for all: Collectible?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thor151.jpg

reader copy hi.gif

I'd call that one: my son's copy!

early SA: F+ or better

later SA: 8.0 or better

early Bronze: 9.0 and better

later Bronze to Modern: 9.4 or better

Hi Uclapeterg! hi.gif

The question has to be asked:

Early Silver Age F+ or better?

A Fantastic Four # 1 or Amazing Fantasy # 15 would only be acceptable for you in Fine + or better?

I think you would "prefer" them to be Fine+ or better, but you would collect them in condition less than Fine+ (or am I wrong on this?) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What's the least acceptable collectible condition?

There's more than a few books I'd be happy to take a Poor copy!

I'd be happy to have an Action # 1 or a Marvel Comics # 1 in poor too!

I just feel like it's sometimes too "Grade driven" and we forget that we'd all be happy with books in lesser condition. Let's see where the debate goes. hi.gif

VG Rules ! cool.gif

As long as the book is complete and not seperated from the cover, I'm happy.

If I can read it where I want (bed, in the bath, in the garden,in the car...) without destroying the book I'm there.

I might be one of the few people on the boards that actually trades DOWN books...

Last year I bought a mystery batch of Bronze Spideys, and all were VF+ to NM (MUCH to my surprise), so I sold all of them and bought the same books again in Fine and another 30 books with the profit.

Main reason I stay away from high grade books is that I read every book I get cover to cover and I don't want to spend $$$$ on a 9.4 and then have it lose $100 value because I read it and made a little corner dent confused-smiley-013.gif

Mint is the lowest grade I'll accept on any book, whatever the age. Not Near Mint, but Gem Mint. Nothing else will do. tongue.gif

Post '65, NM-.

Pre '65, 8.5 - 9.0, although once you get to pre-code horror and G.A. books, scarcity (as opposed to scarcity in grade) kicks in, and FN is more often than not highly acceptable. It does depend on eye appeal in many cases.

Pages have to be at least off-white, though.

Collectable you say

In filling out runs of silver age titles, the acceptable grade changes as I get closer to completing the run. Say, Captain America #100-#120 - started out as vf/nm minimum. Now only need #103 and would take a nice looking f/vf...had to settle for a fine on #100.

What about older titles like Tales of Suspense. Once again started at vf/nm minimum, but settled for f/vf for #58 & #59. Probably have to go vg/f to get the lower number iron man issues.

Bronze age I still stay in the vf/nm area.

Goldern age, hey, vg is usually high grade. A not too beat-up g/vg is highly desirable.