• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers Korvac Saga?

23 posts in this topic

I was just flipping through my "Marvel: Backlist Reading Chronolgy" comic-magazine-freebie (contains several pictures/descriptions of some of Marvel's collected editions) and one listed is THE AVENGERS THE KORVAC SAGA.

This TPB/HC contains AVENGERS #'s 167,168 & 170-177 (ten issues's) written by Jim Shooter and penciled by George Perez and Sal Buscema. Claiming to be "One of the Avengers most EPIC battles!"

Now I was curious to those who have read these issues if this storyline is any good? Is it worth reading at some point, maybe even worth putting in my library of TPB's? ;)

I may have read some of these issues in the past but never in this order nor do I remember any of them.

It is one of the Avengers most epic battles. Maybe their most epic. It's awesome.

I first read it as a kid in the late 80's, 10 years after it came out. The only issue of Avengers from #140-up that I could not find anywhere was #177, the last issue of the Korvac Saga. People just did not let those out of their hands I guess. I had a friend who collected Avengers and lived 1,000 miles away, and the same thing happened to him. We both had the whole storyline except #177 and there were just no copies anywhere, either here or there.

It took me an entire year to find a copy of #177 and finally read the end of the storyline. My friend happened to be visiting when we finally found a copy and I can't tell you how excited we were.

It's good. I'm not sure it's as good as it is made out to be, but it is good. You'll enjoy it. I just don't know if it compares to Watchmen, The Great Darkness Saga or others.

At the time it was published, it ranked up there with the Kree Skrull War and the Avengers- Defenders arc. If you like the Avengers, you'll enjoy it.

Cool, thanks guys!

@shadroch I have read and own both the Avengers Kree/Skrull War and the Avengers VS the Defenders. I enjoyed both so if it is in the same ball park I probably will like it! : )

@Crimebuster, I remember those days! Here in Maine it was horrible if I missed a issue, there was only one comic store around and 2-3 convienent stores that carried comics I could get to. Sometimes I would never ever find the comic I missed until many, many years later! :sorry:

At the time it came out I thought it was epic. It's one of the story arcs, for me, that solidified the Avengers as a major book. I thought at that time that Marvel could do no wrong in their major books. Seriously great stuff. Still like it.

It's good. I'm not sure it's as good as it is made out to be, but it is good. You'll enjoy it. I just don't know if it compares to Watchmen, The Great Darkness Saga or others.

At the time it was published, it ranked up there with the Kree Skrull War and the Avengers- Defenders arc. If you like the Avengers, you'll enjoy it.

+1

I loved it and yes it took me a long time to find a 177 to finish reading it as well.

I would also recommend What if 32 - What if The Avengers became Pawns of Korvac. Its takes the view that the Avengers lost and Korvac won.

+1

I enjoyed reading it way back when it was released. I do recommend the Korvac Saga.

That said it is not my favorite Avengers read, I really enjoy the Count Nefaria storyline of Avengers 164-165-166. (thumbs u

Additionally just a little sooner is the Avengers war with Atlantis, Attuma is ruler and he attacks the surface world with some powerful atlanteans. Avengers 154-156 with a crossover to Supervillain Teamup #9 which I also recommend.

#158-159 is the first Graviton story which is also excellent.

The Ultron fight in 161-162 is also worthwhile.

I also loved the Absorbingman fight in 183-184

You might want to just pick up 154-184 :)

I came across a link to this when reading at Shooter's blog.

Back in 2001, Joe Quesada asked me to write an Avengers mini-series that would be a sequel to the Michael/Korvac Saga I wrote a couple of decades earlier. The plot for the series, entitled “Ill-Begotten: the Samuel Saga” is available for download here (in the sidebar). I ultimately decided not to do the project, but I was sent the paperwork.

Shooter's synopsis of the unpublished sequel to the Korvac Saga

I came across a link to this when reading at Shooter's blog.

Back in 2001, Joe Quesada asked me to write an Avengers mini-series that would be a sequel to the Michael/Korvac Saga I wrote a couple of decades earlier. The plot for the series, entitled “Ill-Begotten: the Samuel Saga” is available for download here (in the sidebar). I ultimately decided not to do the project, but I was sent the paperwork.

Shooter's synopsis of the unpublished sequel to the Korvac Saga

Keep in mind there is the alternate ending to the Korvac Saga in What If 32.