• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Silver Age Series To Collect

30 posts in this topic

Hey guys, im looking to get the early issues of some series that I used to collect, and now that I can afford it, which would be the better series to collect? Im talking about issues 5-100, and I can worry about the 1-4 later. I already have Xmen complete, so I was deciding between Amazing Spiderman, Avengers, and Fantastic Four. What would be the better one to invest in? I want the all (who dooesnt?) but I figured id start with one.

Spidey has the richest run of key books, followed closely by FF. Both series are highly available in nearly all grades. I'm slowly putting together a mostly raw run of Spidey 1 thru 38 on the cheap in mid-grade VG/Fs. (Ditko run.) Honestly it isn't much of a challenge to put either run together. :shrug:

Welcome to the boards!

Ask yourself this question- which character(s) do you like best? Also ask yourself what range of of grades would you like to collect? High-grade? Mid-grade? Low-grade? You can't go wrong with any of these books. All are great reads. For investment- long term blue chips will continue to increase over time. Take note that high grade SA books can be expensive- especially the keys.

John

I recommend Fantastic Four! Pound for pound, it's the silver age champ as far as quality stories, consistently awesome artwork, and introduction of cool new characters.

Plus, if you're going for 5-100, your basically collecting the entire Kirby run and the first book is the introduction of Dr. Doom!!!

As a big Spidey fan, that's where I would go.

I agree. I also think there's more chance of appreciation in the early spidey run overall than any other marvel run.

I'd go with Spidey as well but it is hard to go wrong with FF. Probably more of my personal preference coming into play.

As a big Spidey fan, that's where I would go.

I agree. I also think there's more chance of appreciation in the early spidey run overall than any other marvel run.

I'd go with Spidey as well but it is hard to go wrong with FF. Probably more of my personal preference coming into play.

A similar thread was done a few weeks back but it was only for the first TEN. In that case, I'd go with FF, but if you're doing the first 100 or more, it's gotta be Spidey.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7417099&fpart=1

Personally, I am attempting a run on Showcase 1-104. It boasts a very eclectic mix of characters, tough books in high grade, and a few SA keys in the run. So ultimately, it is like a diversified stock portfolio from the investment side, and a SA collector's pride from the comic set side.

You asked which is the best one to invest in. My advice would be, forgot about collecting any one of these series up to issue 100. I would choose 2, if not all, of these series and focus on the first 25 or 50 issues instead. From that run, buy keys first, starting with those within your budget most likely to be more expensive in the next few years. Late 60s and early 70s non-keys are going to cost you the same 5 years from now as today.

5-100?

Avengers is where it's at. In terms of reading great stories, I'll stack up Avengers #51-100 against any run in superhero comics.

In terms of investment, well, I'd think ASM might be better. Spider-Man is always popular.

buy keys first, starting with those within your budget most likely to be more expensive in the next few years. Late 60s and early 70s non-keys are going to cost you the same 5 years from now as today.

I'm inclined to agree. Don't pass up a good deal on a Fantastic Four #12 just because you've chosen to collect Spidey. If you want all of these titles, go get 'em! I made the mistake of ignoring Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men in my early days of collecting because they were a bit pricier than FF and Strange Tales.

buy keys first, starting with those within your budget most likely to be more expensive in the next few years. Late 60s and early 70s non-keys are going to cost you the same 5 years from now as today.

I'm inclined to agree. Don't pass up a good deal on a Fantastic Four #12 just because you've chosen to collect Spidey. If you want all of these titles, go get 'em! I made the mistake of ignoring Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men in my early days of collecting because they were a bit pricier than FF and Strange Tales.

.... you're gravitating toward the right answer for the OP..... which is NONE of the 3 but ALL of the 3...... he mentioned investment..... therefore, collect the keys between 5-100 of all three.... then you don't even have to choose and you have a diversified investment. Rotate between the three and invest to your hearts content.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have recently finished off my silver X-men run and am #11 away from avengers 1-100. I have been filling all Marvel silver superhero runs for a couple of years and agree with a lot of the advise already here:

- if planning on goin for all runs anyway, look for keys at decent prices (raw is much cheaper in F/VF or higher)

- don't rush out and pay top dollar, especially for non-key issues, prices will not jump on the common issues (semi-keys are good pickups when you can; don't get caught on a book like Avengers 55)

- those runs are all great reads with a lot of fun books

- enjoy the hunt

- buy a nice copy of FF67 before the price goes through the roof

Cheers,

Cole