• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Silver Age Series To Collect

30 posts in this topic

A similar thread was done a few weeks back but it was only for the first TEN. In that case, I'd go with FF, but if you're doing the first 100 or more, it's gotta be Spidey.

I'd agree.

Go after the #1-5 on all titles your interested in first. 2c

I have collected every Marvel silver age series (Every comic) and I also went after higher numbers when I began and collected in reverse on most series. I wish someone gave me the advice I just gave you before I started. :foryou:

As to which title to collect.....which ever one you enjoy the most. You should be doing this for enjoyment. Not for investment.

I have collected every Marvel silver age series (Every comic) and I also went after higher numbers when I began and collected in reverse on most series. I wish someone gave me the advice I just gave you before I started. :foryou:

As to which title to collect.....which ever one you enjoy the most. You should be doing this for enjoyment. Not for investment.

Pretty solid advice! (thumbs u

My answer, as a Spiderman guy, would be FF. Just richer storytelling, to me at least. Add to that the number of first appearances and semi-keys, like 5, 6, 12, 18, 25, 26, 28, 36, 45, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 55, 57-60, 65-67, 72-76. From @36-@76 is probably the best 40 issue run in the Marvel Silver Age cannon.

If you're up for a challenge, try JIM 87-193. The later Thor issues are cake, but the early books in the run, maybe 106 and earlier, can be a bear to put together.

I agree with this approach, but would narrow the focus to just the 1st issues/appearances. The days of the back-issue completist are winding down and the focus of collector attention is a fixation on the 1st issue/1st appearance.

My answer, as a Spiderman guy, would be FF. Just richer storytelling, to me at least. Add to that the number of first appearances and semi-keys, like 5, 6, 12, 18, 25, 26, 28, 36, 45, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 55, 57-60, 65-67, 72-76. From @36-@76 is probably the best 40 issue run in the Marvel Silver Age cannon.

If you're up for a challenge, try JIM 87-193. The later Thor issues are cake, but the early books in the run, maybe 106 and earlier, can be a bear to put together.

I dunno... Some of those FF books are fairly minor keys. Great reads as you said, but doesn't really hold water when compared to:

ASM 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 28, 31, 33, 39, 40, 41, 42 and 50. That's 22 significant books in the first 50 issues...

FF > ASM in the first 10 but for the first 50+ ASM >>>>>>>>>>>>> FF

As to the JIM run, I put the whole Thor run together a couple years ago in 7.0+. It was extremely difficult. JIM is the toughest Marvel superhero run by far.

As some others have said, my advice would be to go for the keys in both. Knock those out first and then go for the rest of one series.

Hard to go wrong with either title. Spidey is easier to resell (if it ever comes to that), although you wouldn't have any difficulties with FF either. Best thing about either one on the collecting side is that there are plenty of copies available in any grade at any time. You don't have to "settle" for any book.

Overall, I like Spidey better, but the FF cosmic stories (48-50, 57-60, 72-77) are my favorite SA stories of all.

I agree with this approach, but would narrow the focus to just the 1st issues/appearances. The days of the back-issue completist are winding down and the focus of collector attention is a fixation on the 1st issue/1st appearance.

This is what happened with GA as runs became too expensive for many collectors. In addition, one no longer needs originals to read the entirety of Marvel's SA superhero output.