• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded Photography Help

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just got a few books back from CGC and I want to sell them, however I haven't found a decent way to get quality pictures of graded books because the covers of the cases are suuuper reflective. I can get some okay pics but the ones you guys post are always better.

How are you guys getting such nice pictures of your graded stuff?

Thanks a bunch for your time,

Kevin

Hi all,

I just got a few books back from CGC and I want to sell them, however I haven't found a decent way to get quality pictures of graded books because the covers of the cases are suuuper reflective. I can get some okay pics but the ones you guys post are always better.

How are you guys getting such nice pictures of your graded stuff?

Thanks a bunch for your time,

Kevin

WTTB!

Most of us use scanners.

Proper scanner helps but if you're going to use a camera then proper lighting, angle and background is what it takes, and you're going to need to experiment to find what works for you.

I'd suggest a stronger ambient light (like daylight - the strongest there is! :D ) and no flash with a medium exposure for best results.

Long exposure causes a blur (unless you are on a tripod) and too short of an exposure will not allow enough colour saturation.

Lots of good suggestions. If you insist on photographing the books I would also wear a black t-shirt with nothing on it. Most of the time what is being reflected is what is right in front of the book which is going to be you. It really is best to shoot it at a slight angle too in order to cut down on glare.

Awesome thanks!!! Anyone have a recommendation for a decent scanner in the lower end price range?

Almost any entry level scanner will do. Just don't go to Best Buy.

For slabs??

Almost every entry level scanner will not do. It needs to have a CCD sensor to properly scan the slab and the book within it. Please throw some links up if you find any entry level scanners that meet this spec.

Awesome thanks!!! Anyone have a recommendation for a decent scanner in the lower end price range?

For slabs??

Almost every entry level scanner will not do. It needs to have a CCD sensor to properly scan the slab and the book within it. Please throw some links up if you find any entry level scanners that meet this spec.

I agree. You cannot really buy a scanner in stores today that has a CCD sensor, at least not for less than a few thousand dollars.

If you want a scanner for slabs, you will need to buy a used scanner. Also, it needs to be a "legal size" scanner as a CGC slab will not fit on a normal sized flatbed scanner. See the legal size scanner thread for more info.

For slabs??

Interesting. I use a really old POS HP all in one that scans just fine. I'd assume that anything nowadays would blow what I have right out of the water. Please fill me in.

For slabs??

Interesting. I use a really old POS HP all in one that scans just fine. I'd assume that anything nowadays would blow what I have right out of the water. Please fill me in.

Your old HP must have a legal size scanning size as well as a CCD sensor. The new entry level AIO / standalone stuff is not going to come with either.

Here is the thread on most of the details > http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3693572

For slabs??

Your old HP must have a legal size scanning size as well as a CCD sensor. The new entry level AIO / standalone stuff is not going to come with either.

Here is the thread on most of the details > http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3693572

Oh, that's weird. I just figured that my "all in one" was obsolete junk for the most part, so anything released on the market now would be superior. In fact, I only use it for it's scanning capabilities.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to read through it.