• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Joker Cover?

35 posts in this topic

Detective comics #40 was the first GA book I ever bought and I think the first book I acquired from Metropolis. It would have been at the end of the 80s or early 1990.

Even then it was considered the first Joker cover which is why I wanted it.

I once toyed with collecting GA Joker covers ( as I imagine many have) and accumulated a half dozen before deciding my interests were stretched too thin. While I was aware of Tec 40 being considered a Joker cover and why, it was actually at the bottom of my list as it doesn't actually look like a Joker cover and there is no Joker story in the book. Even the goofier covers like Tec 91 held more appeal for me.

Detective Comics #40 - absolutely. And, the story involved with why it doesn't have a Joker story in it (because they took issue content and used it for Batman #1, but kept the cover - which matches the splash pages in BM#1) in my estimation fills it with even more lore with it's connection to BM#1; not to mention (yes, off topic, but...) it's content is still "key" in it's own rite with first Clayface and origin.

In fact not only is Tec 40 the first Joker cover, it's the first published image of the Joker.

So, it's my true first Joker cover & atop my "cool list of Joker early/first covers" followed by Batman #11.

There is some controversy as to which his 1st cover is. Most people always point out Detective 40 as the 1st cover, however from what I see it looks to be Clayface and not Joker (since Joker doesn't even appear in the issue). From my research, I have found that his 1st cover is Batman 11. CGC notes on this issue to be "Classic Joker Cover" without noting it to be his 1st cover. I find this significant in the fact that this book would have higher value if it was noted to be the "1st Joker Cover". Your thoughts.
it's absolutely Joker on the cover - look into the story of Tec40 & BM#1. The image IS Joker from BM#1; not to mention actual scene from BM#1 story and splash pages.

It's definitely not Batman #11.

Detective Comics #62 would be it. April 1942.

vs.

Batman #11. June 1942.

That's if you're not counting 'Tec #40. That's subjective. I count it though as it's pretty clearly the Joker regardless of his involvement in the story.

So for me, it truly goes:

1. 'Tec #40

2. Detective #62

3. Batman #11

Batman #11 is at best, the 2nd Joker cover. But probably the 3rd.

Absolutely, right on; though the Joker looks like a beaten up drunk on Detective #62, #62 is definitely 2nd as far as timeline. Tec is #1. Batman #11 is definitely cooler, more classic than DC#62.

Historical/Classic Joker Cover List:

1. 'Tek #40

2. Batman #11

3. Opens up the field a bit.

There is some controversy as to which his 1st cover is. Most people always point out Detective 40 as the 1st cover, however from what I see it looks to be Clayface and not Joker (since Joker doesn't even appear in the issue). From my research, I have found that his 1st cover is Batman 11. CGC notes on this issue to be "Classic Joker Cover" without noting it to be his 1st cover. I find this significant in the fact that this book would have higher value if it was noted to be the "1st Joker Cover". Your thoughts.
Overstreet does note that Detective 40 is the first Joker cover So is this the first appearance of the Joker instead of Batman 1? EJR

Overstreet does note that Detective 40 is the first Joker cover So is this the first appearance of the Joker instead of Batman 1? EJR
...now this question is more philosophical in nature, but I say it's the first published image and cover... Batman #1 is definitely first appearance. (...and, Clayface actually appeared first in last page of DC #39; though #40 recognized as 1st - as in lots of books e.g. H#180, #181, etc).

Wow... This in new to me. It was always my understanding that Tec#40 hit the stands before BM #1 (& has add for BM#1); interesting info...

There is an ad for tec 40 in bats #1

That Detective 40 would have sold for 1525 if I didn't bump it up and bid 2874 at the last 30 seconds... I was so excited only to be led down a sorrowful hall of shame about 20 seconds later :(

Whenever this happens and I lose, I never feel bad anymore. My first thought is always: "at least I made the @$$#@!& pay"

Oh and just to chime in I remember reading somewhere the detective covers from this period were sometimes a month ahead.

Oh and just to chime in I remember reading somewhere the detective covers from this period were sometimes a month ahead.

#27 cover matches #28 story (probably).

#29 cover matches that issue's story.

#31 cover matches that issue's story.

#33... is there a match?

#35 cover matches #34 story. (villain match, at least)

#36 cover matches #35 story.

#37 cover matches that issue's story.

#38 cover matches that issue's story.

#39 cover would also seem to match #38 story, interestingly enough.

#40 cover matches Bat #1 story.

And so on. At a glance, there are at least some other noteworthy instances of this over the next few issues.