• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Books w/ Title Strip Removed

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some advice on a lot of Silver Age books with their title strips removed. Most of the books are in great condition. If the title strips weren't removed, I would say most of the lot is 3.0-6.0 grades.

What does removing the title strip mean for the grade of the book?

Are these books still worth selling? And at what price/grade?

Here is the list and a few pics:

Action Comics #347 x2

Adventure Comics #355 x10

Archie Comics #172 x14

Action Comics #349 x9

Batman #190 x5

Batman #191

Batman #191 no cover x3

Dennis the Menace #89 x6

Detective Comics #362 x6

Girl’s Love Stories #126 x5

Girl’s Romances #124 x2

Laugh #193 x5

Laugh #194 x6

Life with Archie #61 x13

Our Army at War #177

Showcase #65

Showcase #67 x3

Superboy #137 x4

Superman #193 x3

Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #100 x6

Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #101 x2

The Flash #169 x3

The Adventures of Bob Hope #104

World’s Finest #165

Batman #190

8aqQ8Wvl.jpg

Detective Comics #362

66VUHTZl.jpg

The Flash #169

hXw8aVVl.jpg

Superman #193

2KkaDgql.jpg

World's Finest #165

GTQ0NEsl.jpg

What does removing the title strip mean for the grade of the book?

That helps. Could the grade get any higher if the condition overall was a little better?

I don't think the grade could go higher if the book was in better shape.

I think .5 is the max for a remainder copy, although I could be wrong.

Like all 2.0 and under books, the nature of the flaw is more important than the grade. If memory serves, these books had traditionally been considered FR if they were otherwise in reasonably decent shape, but some dealers would go as high as GD for one that barely looked circulated. It looks like CGC considers them PR , as they are by any definition incomplete.

For any book where the cover is what drives the interest, the value is going to be hit harder than for an expensive key where many collectors are just looking for a copy they can afford.

For the books shown, the best way to sell them would be in group reader lots on ebay with no grade just a group shot and description of the issues. You might average a .50 -$1 a book including shipping.

Like all 2.0 and under books, the nature of the flaw is more important than the grade. If memory serves, these books had traditionally been considered FR if they were otherwise in reasonably decent shape, but some dealers would go as high as GD for one that barely looked circulated. It looks like CGC considers them PR , as they are by any definition incomplete.

For any book where the cover is what drives the interest, the value is going to be hit harder than for an expensive key where many collectors are just looking for a copy they can afford.

For the books shown, the best way to sell them would be in group reader lots on ebay with no grade just a group shot and description of the issues. You might average a .50 -$1 a book including shipping.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Those books are not that pricey in VG-FN cond-I wouldn't waste my time buying these.

Those books are not that pricey in VG-FN cond-I wouldn't waste my time buying these.

You're right but some people will still enjoy them and I've already had offers. No one is wasting their time here.