• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to CGC

9 posts in this topic

Happy to be here as a member of CGC!

I've been collecting comics for a few years now, and when it comes to CGC I'm still relatively new to the whole slabbed - graded comics scene.

I currently have six comics which are graded by CGC and some people have told me that I should have held out to grade higher quality comic books.

But CGC Grading not only should be for increasing the overall value of your comics, it should be a way to preserve your favorite comics from the predator known as time.

Fellow members of CGC can check out my small collection thus far and feel free to leave comments on what you think of it.

Until next time!

Richard

Twitter: @ComicBookManiac

See more journals by Dark_Knight78

Welcome to the craziness that is CGC collecting!!

We all collect for different reasons and in various ways.

Some of us, like me, are 9.8 hounds. Always on the hunt for the top notch copies.

Some submit from their personal collections for sentimental reasons or, like you, to better protect their prized possessions, regardless of what others may think.

Some collect only specific series and nothing else. Some collect only uber elite copies, like 9.9 and Gem Mint 10.

Or any number of other reasons and/or variations thereof.

The point is, here on the registry, we all respect each other and try to be supportive of each other and our collections and sets, regardless of what you collect or what grade you collect it in.

The nice thing about the registry is that you can interact with many others who share in your love of comics and can even guide you and help you in both the ways of CCS/CGC and in answering any other questions you may have.

Don't worry about feeling like a newbie by asking questions that most everyone else here may know. That's how you learn. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Welcome to our community and may all of your submissions come back to you better than you hoped!

:)

Great welcome message bagofleas. Couldnt have said it better myself. Welcome Dark Knight. I think your books are great. You've got a nice start to your collection. Looking forward to hearing about other books you pick up.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Hello Dark Knight,

There are many reasons why people use CGC and get their books graded and slabbed.

For me, there only a few types of scenarios where it makes sense.

Having a book slabbed does not always increase the value of the book from a retail perspective. Looking at the books you have registered, that is probably the case. When you have been told that you should have "held out" for higher grade copies, that is the reason why. The higher the grade, the more sense it makes to get that grade stamped on the slab by CGC. Also, the lower the grade, the less it makes sense (again from a retail perspective.)

Now if you wish to preserve the book or the book is nostalgic or sentimental value is involved then of course, you should have the book slabbed. But retail value isn't always relevant in those situations.

Bottom line: With CGC just makes sure you have a clear idea about WHY you are using their services. If you think you can pay them $40 to get a book back that yields $100 in additional value, you may end up disappointed sometimes.

Hope that helps and good luck with your collecting endeavors!

-Brady

DK, welcome and thank you for the dose of reality. It's Oh so common

to see books that are graded 9.8 and still have collectors strive for an

even higher grade! Most of those books will never have their covers opened :(

That's not what the hobby was intended to be. Keep collecting what you like

and it will always be fun whether you have your books slabbed or not!

This in my opinion is also a support group for those addicted to this hobby and

you can definitely count on all the great people here for help or input at anytime.

Welcome to the sickness that is CGC’d comics! Honestly it's a great focal point, and you'll love it.

Holding out for higher grades is great and all; but in the broad scheme of things, it’s immaterial. If you're happy with what you own then you have done just fine.

Good luck with your future hunting and I look forward to seeing your collection grow.

Dark Knight form Nova Scotia... I've never been there but certainly a place I would like to visit sometime soon.

Welcome to the Boards!

I like your books... you have some key issues and the most important thing is collecting what you enjoy!

This place has a wealth of knowledge but it may take some time and don't get discouraged!

Dark Knight form Nova Scotia... I've never been there but certainly a place I would like to visit sometime soon.

Welcome to the Boards!

I like your books... you have some key issues and the most important thing is collecting what you enjoy!

This place has a wealth of knowledge but it may take some time and don't get discouraged!

My Fiancee was born/raised in Dartmouth. It is one of my favourite places to visit!

Collect what you like and you can never have a book you don't like ;)