• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the accepted procedure around here, for a trade?

9 posts in this topic

What is the accepted (or normal) way a trade transaction is done on this site? A trade of a book for a book? Or a trade of a book for, oh, let's say, a guitar?

Is one sent before the other? Are they sent at the same time?

I'm assuming that the two parties work it out and do what works for them.

But if you were trading a $500 book for a $500 guitar. Would you send the book first, or wait to inspect the guitar? Or vice versa.

I have been tempted to trade books for guitars, video game systems, or guns on here. But hesitated because I wasn't comfortable on how it would, or should, work.

What is the accepted (or normal) way a trade transaction is done on this site? A trade of a book for a book? Or a trade of a book for, oh, let's say, a guitar?

But if you were trading a $500 book for a $500 guitar. Would you send the book first, or wait to inspect the guitar? Or vice versa.

I have been tempted to trade books for guitars, video game systems, or guns on here. But hesitated because I wasn't comfortable on how it would, or should, work.

..... I always went with whoever requested the trade sends the book first.... kind of like paying first before a book is shipped. If I've known the person it would matter much less to me. As far as a gun..... I probably wouldn't do that interstate unless I was absolutely certain of all the legalities.... which I'm not. I would be curious to know what the restrictions on something like that would be. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It all depends who the trading partner is. All of your questions should be worked out as part of the trade. I've shipped 1st, same time and last.

..... I always went with whoever requested the trade sends the book first.... kind of like paying first before a book is shipped. If I've known the person it would matter much less to me. As far as a gun..... I probably wouldn't do that interstate unless I was absolutely certain of all the legalities.... which I'm not. I would be curious to know what the restrictions on something like that would be. GOD BLESS....

Guns are pretty easy, you ship to a licensed FFL dealer and the recipient does a NICS background check before they can receive it at the dealer. Make sure before hand, with a quick google search, that you aren't sending any firearms or accessories that are illegal in the state it's going to (or just don't ship anything to NY, NJ or CA basically).

If it's someone I trust, I have no problem shipping first or at the same time.

If it's someone new that dosn't have much history I insist on receiving first (and offer plenty of references). It generally works.

I wouldn't do a deal if it looks like it was shady.

+1 This pretty much sums it up.

I've traded on here numerous times, and It always seems that the one who wanted to initially trade is the one who one who ships their book out first, but that doesn't mean you have to wait until the book arrives to fulfill your end of the bargain.

Needless to say, It's always wise to check the persons feedback/kudos.

I would never trade with anyone who didn't have any positive feedback of any kind, or If they're a brand new member.

It all depends who the trading partner is. All of your questions should be worked out as part of the trade. I've shipped 1st, same time and last.

^ This ^

I'd add that if you have an established condition item (like a CGC book) then I think it's fair for the other party to send you the non-establish condition item first (say a guitar he says is 'mint') so you can inspect it yourself. The whole trade idea take a great deal of trust on both sides.